Fly Fusion Forums

Wildlife Refuge Below Glenmore

Hi guys,

I was wondering about the land just downstream(west side of the river) of the Glenmore trail bridge over the bow. The land is marked as a wildlife refuge and that it is private property with no trespassing. I was interested in fishing some of the back channels that are on this property.

I am assuming the high water mark rule applies and I should be ok if I stay in the water. I have tried to find out more info about this property/refuge with no luck other than what the signs say, so does anybody know anything about this property? Any info would be great!

Thanks

Lance

I think the land used to be owned by Cominco. All the land where Wholesale Sports/Superstore/Ikea and the stuff by the river was all one big property for gravel/cement. Not sure what happened to the land after they built Deerfoot trail and started developing the area.

I'm not sure what the deal is with the property. I would guess it can not be developed for some reason. Maybe contaminated?

I'm pretty sure it is because of contamination from heavy metals/chemicals and such, plenty of industry in that area back in the day. There are a few areas marked as 'refuges' and then fenced in with a 6 foot chain link fence to keep things out/in?

Colin

The area was where Cominco was. The land was also part of what was called Burns Ranch back in the day. The channel mentioned was for the supply water and discharge water used when Cominco made fertilizer. There was NEVER any munitions or army barrarcks located there. As far as heavy metals, if there were concentrations of them in the area I would assume that being in the floodplain that they would have been cleaned up. Since I used this are as my stomping grounds as a kid the only other info I could offer is when the developer put forth plans to develop Deerfoot Meadows there was a requirement to keep certain areas of the valley for wildlife as is visible north of Southland and west of Deerfoot as the developer was forced to set aside certain areas for wildlife. This area may also be part of the developers land which was also set aside in order to get approval to develop the land.

FHD

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

I thought that "island" was a nature preserve for birds. The signs are new so I don't think it's just something carried over from years gone by. I would imagine the city wouldn't allow the private ownership of land like that on the river in town. They'd buy it up for sure and make it some kind of nature land akin to Fish Creek Park. Not 100% sure.

I would think you'd be allowed to wade the waters next to it. If you can float it you can wade it.