Fly Fusion Forums

Buying Flies In Bulk

I am looking at buying flies in bulk. They come by the douzen and are about 2.90 to 3.25 per douzen. I woud like to order many douzen of flies that could be spit between 3-4 people. I am looking for one more person and we would have a group of 4 so we can get 3 of each flies. Like I said the flies are about 25 cents each. PM me if you are interested. I am not interested in making money on this as it would go for the cost that I pay. I have a 7 years old that is learning to fly fish and he is going throug flies like crazy.

Thanks

Could you send me a pm with the company or where ever you are getting these from and maybe a list of flies that are available? I may be interested in getting some depending on what kind of numbers you are wanting to order and what kinds of flies are available.

You pay for what you get and even at $3 a dozen these flies are probably overpriced, because the quality is so poor. You will be lucky to even hook one fish before they fall apart.

x2. Been there, done that. Total waste of money. Half of them will literally fall apart with a few false casts.

Could you send me a pm with the company or where ever you are getting these from and maybe a list of flies that are available? I may be interested in getting some depending on what kind of numbers you are wanting to order and what kinds of flies are available.

Icky Fly Works is a site sponsor: www.ickyflyworks.ca

x2. Been there, done that. Total waste of money. Half of them will literally fall apart with a few false casts.

I had this problem in the past as well with cheaper flies.. I took someone else's advice and bought myself a bottle of head cement. Whenever I buy cheaper flies now, I'll just sit down for a few minutes and give them a good coat of head cement around the eye of the hook. Problem solved.

I had this problem in the past as well with cheaper flies.. I took someone else's advice and bought myself a bottle of head cement. Whenever I buy cheaper flies now, I'll just sit down for a few minutes and give them a good coat of head cement around the eye of the hook. Problem solved.

Thats a good idea birchy but what do you do about the cheap hooks. Very poor quality and tend to bend or break rather easy. Great for a little guy just learning the sport I guess but not much else.

Tried that. Problem not solved. Maybe the flies I got were worse than yours, but the whole flies were tyed so poorly that even with a secure head, there was so much slack in the rest of it that one by one, parts worked themselves loose. Once one part falls off there's more slack and it just gets worse. The hooks were terrible, too. I think it'd be a shame to detract from a child's early flyfishing experience by giving him/her inferior gear. They're just going to lose any fish that bites, through no fault of their own. Why set them up for disappointment?

Look it was an offer I made to people interested in this. Tonight I spent 30 buck on a douzen flies at bass pro. I have a 7 yo son who is trying to learn to fly fish and my father in law woh is also learning to fly fosh. Last week-end between those two I lost 15 flies. So with that said, The only perfect fly is the one you tie nad catch a fish on other than that I am not interested in placing a 3 dollar stone fly on my son's line for him to snag the bottom. My fly fishing budget is not as deep as some of you here but I want to be able to continue fishing every week-end like I have been doing since we moved here 3 weeks ago. Beside my boy is dreaming fish right now and that's all he wants to do. So I need to try to keep this sport afordable if we are going to be able to enjoy it.

Thanks to all.

Look it was an offer I made to people interested in this. Tonight I spent 30 buck on a douzen flies at bass pro. I have a 7 yo son who is trying to learn to fly fish and my father in law woh is also learning to fly fosh. Last week-end between those two I lost 15 flies. So with that said, The only perfect fly is the one you tie nad catch a fish on other than that I am not interested in placing a 3 dollar stone fly on my son's line for him to snag the bottom. My fly fishing budget is not as deep as some of you here but I want to be able to continue fishing every week-end like I have been doing since we moved here 3 weeks ago. Beside my boy is dreaming fish right now and that's all he wants to do. So I need to try to keep this sport afordable if we are going to be able to enjoy it.

Thanks to all.

I think all of us can sympathize with you. Losing flies at that price is a bummer. I don't fault you one bit for seeking a cheaper source.

I tie my own flies and I can tell you its pretty pricey too. Let us know how it works out for you.

it was an offer i might have been interested in if i didnt already have a cheap source for quiltiy flies.not all low priced flies and garbage.i just order up 21 dozen for $93.this was from a seller on ebay that i have been buying from for quite awhile.i have a friend who has tied for over 40 years and gets me to order flies for him because he cant tie them for the price i buy them for.i just got a dozen triple decker hoppers for 4.79 and i have been using and catching fish on that pattern for the past 6 weeks.if you buy the patterns for our rivers you can catch fish with them.as far as cheap flies holding up,my buddy has now landed 15 fish above 16 inches here on the bow in the past 3 outings plus the ones he has lost all on the same fly.not the same pattern, the same fly.i posted a pic of one of his fish in the bow river section,a 24 inch brown with the fly in its mouth. out of those 21 dozen that i just ordered this week, 3 dozen were big rubber leg beadhead stones and 4 dozen were triple decker hoppers.where could i get them for that price in calgary or even get the tying materials for that price? so not all low priced flies are bad.