Fly Fusion Forums

Bear Bangers

I was also wondering about this. A dude at MEC told me that if it isn't loaded and ready to go it isn't worth carrying. Kinda nervous carrying it loaded... even upside down and with the safety on. I bought some a while ago but never carry it since I carry spray and almost never fish bear country alone.

I carry one for work all the time and always have it loaded ready to go and have never had a problem. What I run into more are defective bangers. Always test one when you have a chance and carry back up (e.g. bearspray) if you can.

Yeah, banger screwed in, pin in locked position. They definitely work, one of my buddies used one on a bear across the river from us that was running towards a couple of people just around a bend. they didn't even know what happened cause they couldn't see the bear, but it turned and ran the opposite direction, and I bet you they were pretty pissed that we shot a bear banger at them :P

I have been looking for a pistol/flare gun style banger that comes with a holster. I saw one used by a F&W officer in Canmore. Looks much safer, easier to access, and more durable. Spent tons of time on the internet looking but cant seem to find where to get one.

Also, you may want to consider a marine horn. I know several outdoor enthusiasts who have used them in the field (to actually scare off bears) and carry them exclusively.

I have been looking for a pistol/flare gun style banger that comes with a holster. I saw one used by a F&W officer in Canmore. Looks much safer, easier to access, and more durable. Spent tons of time on the internet looking but cant seem to find where to get one.

Also, you may want to consider a marine horn. I know several outdoor enthusiasts who have used them in the field (to actually scare off bears) and carry them exclusively.

I carry the pistol style - it requires those little 22 blanks to ignite the banger/screamer but feels safe enough to carry loaded (just not cocked). The downside is it is time consuming to load the banger, remove the spent casing, and chamber another blank so if you need to get a second shot off you are screwed.

There is probably a better model out there somewhere.

Well, I'd heard there were some mighty strange looking bears running around down south, so it might have been a "Menage a Trois"

Mike

I thought I banged a bear once when I'd been out drinkin' but when I sobered up turned out to be a hairy ol' euro hippie chick

I was also wondering about this. A dude at MEC told me that if it isn't loaded and ready to go it isn't worth carrying. Kinda nervous carrying it loaded... even upside down and with the safety on. I bought some a while ago but never carry it since I carry spray and almost never fish bear country alone.

The one i bought this spring from MEC says on the packaging "do not keep launcher loaded", so i haven't been. The only reason i bought one of these is to scare a bear away that i come a pawn that is a a distance and is showing interested or is approaching me, so i figure i should have time to screw one of those cartridges into the launcher. I still carry bear spray and large buck knife on my hip for any surprise close encounters. The most important thing all these items bring me when im fishing or hiking on my own is confidence/peace of mind even though i know thats kinda false. At least im able to step out the door every time and think to myself im safe and keep fishing.

Cheers,

I carry the pistol style - it requires those little 22 blanks to ignite the banger/screamer but feels safe enough to carry loaded (just not cocked). The downside is it is time consuming to load the banger, remove the spent casing, and chamber another blank so if you need to get a second shot off you are screwed.

There is probably a better model out there somewhere.

I don't suppose you could tell me where to get one like yours? There may be a better one, but I cant seem to find any pistol style!

:D

I don't suppose you could tell me where to get one like yours? There may be a better one, but I cant seem to find any pistol style!

:D

i saw something the girl called a starter gun, at wholesale sports yesterday. sounds like it might be what your looking for.