Fly Fusion Forums

Whats The Difference???

ULTRAlite

What is the difference between a wooly bugger and a "leech pattern". On a list of recommened flies that I came across, it has wooly bugger listed as well as leech patterns. I thought the wooly bugger was supposed to be a leech. Am I missing something? After a quick google image search, they look to be very similair....

... so what is the difference??

Thanks

UL

I actually catch quite a lot of those big bulls on my anchor rope they just bite and won't let go...... The fact that i use a 30 piece bucket of KFC chicken as an anchor plays absolutely no part in it........

But in all honesty that was a very long fish but he was early season and was actually quite skinny compared to some of the fish later in the season. His tail gives you a good idea of how much he(she actually I think) would have bulked up. Thats a pretty big tail.

But rather then completely poaching this thread I will offer an insight of mine to leechs..... exact patterns mean nothing like many of the critters we imitate they do often come in different shades, sizes colours ect. I like to use very subtle imitations that have some attractor qualities. Bloom off this forum is basically where I got the idea to put a red head on my leech patterns...... I find this tiny attractor quality plays a large part in convincing fish to bite..... I also like materials that have either a shiny look or I like to hide a bit of flash or red flash within the body..... One of these days I will post a few of my leech patterns..... I also find that sometimes you can work an area hard with one leech pattern until the fishing slows and then simply switch to a pattern nearly the same but a bit different and re' educate the fish a second time.... Also I like a lot of weight for most of my leechs and I (this is a matter of some contention) prefer loop knots for the added action......

One of these days I will post a few of my leech patterns

would love to see em...

Also I like a lot of weight for most of my leechs and I (this is a matter of some contention) prefer loop knots for the added action

loop knot to the fly? - I've always done the improved clinch - do you have a link or description (worth a try right)

Thanks

UL

Guest tallieho

with the first example[lefty's],does the knot or loop close up when you have a fish on.this has been my experince,so i tie a granny on the tag & tighten down to the knot.i still have a loop.any other sugestions or am i doing something wrong. thanks