Fly Fusion Forums

Tfo Nxt 5/6 Wt

jriad

Ya'll are gonna get sick of my posts now that I have fully caught the fever. Ok this 9ft rod is my starting rod. Can I use this for dries, emergers, nytmphing, and streamers. Keep in mind im not gonna spend money on seperate rods until i learn more about all. Ive seen suggestions I should change the fly line on this nxt package.

Now to leaders. Ive read the nymphing primer and am going to follow rickr's advice and try a 2x leader. Any specific recommendations for this and strike indicators?

Buy a 7.5' 2x then put a small swivel then 16" - 18" of tippet to your fly (repeat 1 or 2 more times if you feel comfortable with multiple fly rigs)... As Rick's primer indicates you should be at 1.5 x's the depth of the water you are fishing. And if you are not catching the bottom every once in a while you are either too short or not heavy enough...

Either corky type indi's, (med) thingamabobbers (though many don't like the thingamabobbers), or the Phil Rowley indicators... Try all of them to see what you like (they are not too expensive)?!

P

Ya'll are gonna get sick of my posts now that I have fully caught the fever. Ok this 9ft rod is my starting rod. Can I use this for dries, emergers, nytmphing, and streamers. Keep in mind im not gonna spend money on seperate rods until i learn more about all. Ive seen suggestions I should change the fly line on this nxt package.

Now to leaders. Ive read the nymphing primer and am going to follow rickr's advice and try a 2x leader. Any specific recommendations for this and strike indicators?

Rod should be fine for dries,nymphs and light streamers(not bank pounding) Not sure what line you have but assume its a dry which will be fine for dries and nymphing. You can use a longer leader and weighted flies for streamering but don't over do it as it is only a 5/6 wt. Tight lines

Either corky type indi's, (med) thingamabobbers (though many don't like the thingamabobbers), or the Phil Rowley indicators... Try all of them to see what you like (they are not too expensive)?!

P

What don't people like about thingamabobs? Myself there easy to adjust up and down, easy to remove hold up a ton of weight available in different sizes.Whats not to like?

From what I understand (not me, I like them), some people don't like the fact that with small diameter tippet they tend to slip (there is a new style now that doesn't slip). Others, seem to think they spook the fish... Then there is the fact that they kink the leader... There are probably a few more, but those are the ones I know of...

P

What don't people like about thingamabobs? Myself there easy to adjust up and down, easy to remove hold up a ton of weight available in different sizes.Whats not to like?

From what I understand (not me, I like them), some people don't like the fact that with small diameter tippet they tend to slip (there is a new style now that doesn't slip). Others, seem to think they spook the fish... Then there is the fact that they kink the leader... There are probably a few more, but those are the ones I know of...

P

Peter,

1. Small diameter leaders with a indie on it just loop it through twice then and no more slipping.

2. Spook the fish thats funny, cause if a thingabob is spooking fish then you might as well stop throwing nymphs as the nymphs hitting the water would make alot more splash then a small plastic indie.

3. Kink in the leader, I can see where some people are coming from this but for nymphs and streamers that is not a issuse, as for dries I always use a diffrent leader as I want the leader to be as straight as possible, alot of times I also buy dynamic leaders and I also use a diffrent rod for dries as well but not everyone can afford multiple rods so this one is the only valid reason.

Back to topic though.

The tfo NXT 5/6 wt rod can do everything, some people have their own personal reason why something would work with something while other things will not work, at the end of the day the rod cn diffently handle everything in my own opion.