Fly Fusion Forums

Looking For A Regs Reference

Peter. the only fishing voilation (or any violation of any kind) I ever got in my life was becuase of the confusion regarding that exact rule. I even tried to fight it in court. Apparently you need to read the alberta fisheries act ... it's available online at the AB gov't website... Turns out fishing anywhere near any structure of any type (wier, spillway, etc) is illegal. I guess all the folks fishing the inlet at crawling valley for walleye better move eh? They can give you a ticket for fishing ANYWHERE within 25metres of ANY obsatcle, if the CO is having a slow day and feeling like being a dick instead of actually going out and getting poachers.

Additional Restrictions:

•The edible flesh of legally kept game fish must not be wasted, destroyed, spoiled or abandoned (this does not apply to burbot).

•Fish must not be removed from, or disturbed in, any facility or structure designed to capture, hold or facilitate the passage of fish. Fishing is prohibited by any method within 25 yards (22.86 m) downstream of the lower entrance of any fishway, canal, obstacle or leap. Weirs and dams are considered obstacles.

NOTE: Fishways, fish ladders, impoundment nets, fish traps and other similar structures are set up to assist in the management or the study of fisheries, or to allow the passage of fish.

•Angling is not permitted through the ice: a) into beaver ponds or B) into flowing waters in Zone 1 (Eastern Slopes

In the general part just under "its unlawful to"

Thanks Mike,

I couldn't find it in the 'act'

Cheers,

P

P.S. I'm having a "discussion" with a buddy and need to be right ;)

Additional Restrictions:

•The edible flesh of legally kept game fish must not be wasted, destroyed, spoiled or abandoned (this does not apply to burbot).

•Fish must not be removed from, or disturbed in, any facility or structure designed to capture, hold or facilitate the passage of fish. Fishing is prohibited by any method within 25 yards (22.86 m) downstream of the lower entrance of any fishway, canal, obstacle or leap. Weirs and dams are considered obstacles.

NOTE: Fishways, fish ladders, impoundment nets, fish traps and other similar structures are set up to assist in the management or the study of fisheries, or to allow the passage of fish.

•Angling is not permitted through the ice: a) into beaver ponds or B) into flowing waters in Zone 1 (Eastern Slopes

In the general part just under "its unlawful to"

this used to just read "within 25 yards of a fish ladder". I am glad to see it read more clearly. I wrote a lot of letters. :$*%&: .

That doesn't really deter any of the people I see down there fishing presently (I see them there when I drive down the Deerfoot)...

Also if anyone is curious the new wier project is also covered by the same no fishing law.

Here's what Jim Stelfox had to say:

Regarding the regs. that specify no fishing within 25 yards downstream of an obstacle (dam or weir), this was primarily intended to prevent people from fishing where fish are stacked up while trying to migrate upstream through a fish ladder. Since there is no fish ladder at this dam, I'd be surprised if the officers would charge anyone for fishing right below the dam. However, the best thing to do is to pose the question to one of the officers in Claresholme or High River, since they are the ones who are responsible for enforcing that regulation and would be able to tell you.

Funny thing is, I called the Claresholm office and they "passed the buck" on me and told me it wasn't their jurisdiction, it was Forestry that was responsible for this area!! Nice!!

P