Fly Fusion Forums

Where To Go???

ladystrange

i need a little advice.

i have a friend in town sunday afternoon only. not keen on fishing the bow - traffic and all the yahoos

when i don't fish in town i head south to crowsnest area and havent fished anything in between.

any suggestions on sheep or highwood, which is producing and has a little less traffic. and i need an access point because i'm not exactly sure how to get to them in all honesty.

or should i bite the bullet and high tail it out to the jumping pound access in k country and allen bill pond on the way back.

second thought, i need to check my regs to what is still open for catch and release. anyway, ideas are needed. thanks

if you want to fish the forestry reserve there's lots of oldman creeks and tribs up in there with fish. i can give you access points if you're interested. they would all be about 45-60 minute (i believe) drive west from the hwy 22 - maycroft rd junction. might be busy in there though on the weekends.

I'd personally suggest the sheep as it's (in my experience) a little less crowded than the Highwood can be on weekends.

I've had some days on the Highwood that are really, really busy... If you’re trying to get a little solitude I'd recommend exploring a bit in the upper reaches.

Good luck J

thanks Dave. but alas, no it is a guy out from Halifax. never met him before but offered to take him for a tour. i think he is planning on fishing the Bow in the evenings after his meeting so i don't want to duplicate, thought i would take him somewhere different with picture opertunities and the chance of wild life. other than the dead gopher i saw floating down the bow like the last time i was out.

wongrs, the oldman might be a bit far. were you thinking the gap? from black diamond i can hit the hwy 22/ hwy 3 turn off in an hour... at 125k so i would imagine the maycroft turn would be 40min from black diamond. not sure exactly how much time we are going to have. we wont get out of town until after noon.

i did fish the FTR from hwy 3 to 532 earlier in the season, racehorse, vicary, dutch and livingstone all were great. just not sure if i want to much further south than 532.

if you have any ideas, pm me. i would appreciate it.

thanks again guys. ur great. i love it here. everyone is so nice.

You could try Cataract Creek, just south of Highwood Crossing on the Forestry Trunk Road. Upstream there are lots of small fiesty brookies with some cutts, and downstream there are bigger brookies and some bulls. Plus there are some creeks in the area that cannot be named that are good too. The access is at the Cataract campground.