Fly Fusion Forums

More Camera Advice...

Hi Everyone:

Just seeking some advice on cameras. After 10 years my Pentax Optio Wr-33 finally died. It was a great camera.

Lucky me, my father has generously donated Air Miles to get a new camera for the both of us. He has points he never uses, so we figured what the heck. So my choices are limited to the following models, any opinions are gladly welcomed in helping me with my decision:

(I do want a tough outdoors camera, hence the choices are models that are shock, water, freeze, and dust-proof…):

1. Sony DSCTX10

2. Fujifilm FinePix XP20

3. Canon D10

4. Olympus Stylus Tough 8010

I have searched the forums, but I thought I’d get some advice based on these models only.

Thoughts? Comments?

Cheers!

Mike

P.S. I know some of you have the Canon D10, but I was wondering how that model stacks up against the other 3...

I have the Fuji XP20. I have to say it is even better than the XP10 as they have improved the buttons so they are not the rubberized ones that were tough to press.

With the Olympus, be cautious of the little door that covers the lens as they tend to get gummed up and may not open properly in time. I have not used the D10, but in looking at it I found it to be a little bulky. I like to keep my point & shoot in my shirt pocket so I like a slimmer design.

With the Sony you may want to try out the touch screen to see how you like it. It seem many people either love them or hate them.

Andrew

Smitty, If you have the Spring Issue 2011 of FlyFusion, There is an article "Capture And Release" By Al Noaker, And he mentions that his Go To point and shoot is the Olympus Stylus 6020..... I purchased a 6020 just prior to the Stylus 8010 coming out, due to the fact I had read the article, and the clearance price was way to good to pass up.....

So far I really like the camera, other than it takes some getting used to, the settings are not easy as say, a Sony point and shoot, (and thats what I have bin used to over the years) however it takes great outdoor shots, fantastic under waters, super macros, and the panoramic setting is pretty cool too.... I also really like the 720 videos it records as well..... The 6020 also fared very well in Mexico for me in the salt water... The only thing I would change on the 6020 is to make it a little easier to operate..... Perhaps the 8010 is a little easier to get used to??... One thing I would suggest, is getting an attached floating case for any under water camera, my floating case has came in handy a couple times all ready lol :o ..... Good luck on a new camera....

Cheers...Jeff..

I have the Olympus 8010 and if I had my druthers, I'd druther NOT have a camera that lacks a viewfinder. These stupid little LCD screens might be easy to see in a building, but in bright sun outside you can't see the damn screens half the time. Apparently they are designed by clueless engineers who design for the masses who are not photographers at all, but are just to point and shoot pics of people indoors (and then post em on facebook or whatever).

And try taking a pic when you're skiing, or out in the snow somewhere---you can't make out the screen at all. Like being blindfolded. Pathetic. This passes for progress in the world of cameras.

I got my Olympus 8010 with some aeroplan points, otherwise I'd try to return it and look for one with a viewfinder. Unfortunately, all the ones in Future shop that are compact also lack the viewfinder, you have to buy a larger camera to get that little feature.

Being waterprrof doesn't compensate for being useles in bright light outside.

Love to see you use the view finder underwater!! LoL ;)

jk

P

I have the Olympus 8010 and if I had my druthers, I'd druther NOT have a camera that lacks a viewfinder. These stupid little LCD screens might be easy to see in a building, but in bright sun outside you can't see the damn screens half the time. Apparently they are designed by clueless engineers who design for the masses who are not photographers at all, but are just to point and shoot pics of people indoors (and then post em on facebook or whatever).

And try taking a pic when you're skiing, or out in the snow somewhere---you can't make out the screen at all. Like being blindfolded. Pathetic. This passes for progress in the world of cameras.

I got my Olympus 8010 with some aeroplan points, otherwise I'd try to return it and look for one with a viewfinder. Unfortunately, all the ones in Future shop that are compact also lack the viewfinder, you have to buy a larger camera to get that little feature.

Being waterprrof doesn't compensate for being useles in bright light outside.

I had an Olympus Stylus. Took great pictures overall, except in low light conditions. Indoors/nightime shots were not very good. But if you just want it for underwater, outside then it is a good camera. My son took mine diving however ("dad, I thought you said it was waterproof?") and that was the end of that.

I currently have the D10. It is bigger, but I've not had any issues with that. I thought I would, but it still fits in my top pocket just fine. Since it is essentially a true point and shoot with a waterproof case, it takes much better indoors shot while still taking great outdoor and underwater shots.