Fly Fusion Forums

Wader Prices

Looking at online prices for Simms waders offered by fly shops around Calgary, I've noticed price variances of $40-$60 for the same model. Simms Freestone (non-zip) for example - the lowest I saw was about $40 less than another shop's retail price (and Bass Pro's was higher by about $60 - store price on Saturday actually). Or take Simms G3 convertible - of the 3 shops I looked at, the one with the lowest price was selling it for less than $50-$60 than the other 2. Considering that these shops are in the same metro area, I'm assuming the price difference wouldn't be that much. Are there some intangibles that could account for the substantial price diff among the shops (help with warranty, repair, return policy, etc)?

Thanks.

I would presume that shops have a little wiggle room with the retail price they set - depending on volume ordered/sold, etc. I know some of the shops can give a slight discount to their "preferred" customers ;). So if you look at 10% off a $400 pair of waders, your looking at $40, which may explain your observations!!

P

This is called shopping. Good on ya for doing your homework.

Looking at online prices for Simms waders offered by fly shops around Calgary, I've noticed price variances of $40-$60 for the same model. Simms Freestone (non-zip) for example - the lowest I saw was about $40 less than another shop's retail price (and Bass Pro's was higher by about $60 - store price on Saturday actually). Or take Simms G3 convertible - of the 3 shops I looked at, the one with the lowest price was selling it for less than $50-$60 than the other 2. Considering that these shops are in the same metro area, I'm assuming the price difference wouldn't be that much. Are there some intangibles that could account for the substantial price diff among the shops (help with warranty, repair, return policy, etc)?

Thanks.

Thanks.

good doing some homework on you getting a deal , i'll just add that it's always good in my opinion to buy from the smaller fly shops compared to like bass pro or the big wholesalers , support them , my reason is the mom and pop fly shops will take better care of you in the long run and your just not a number , but it becomes personal on a first name base and the shops will remember you , and i'm sure if you talk with them on the price , they will help you into a good pair of waders and you'll leave with a smile

you also are buying the best waders on the market , just my opinion again and some will say otherwise , for toughness and warranty , the small fly shop owners will make sure you'll always happy as they want you back in seeing them

a couple good mom and pop fly shops that carry Simms waders -- Troutfitters -- downtown Calgary , ask for Chris or Elliott , And Country Pleasures ask for Mike or Kevin , they also have a big selection of Simms gear and they are a site sponsor of this forum site FFC , again just a small point with me is you don't see the great big shops like bass pro on here as a paid sponsor ,

$50 or $60 bucks is nothing these days , so my advice to you would be stop in and say hello , face to face makes it more personal and explain yourself to the owners of the small local shops , you'll be way better off and i'd go to guess that they will make you a deal to keep you coming back

which model Simms waders you plan on buying

Fishtales now carrying Simms Products , hey thats nice to know ,and a good thing , last time i was in a couple weeks ago i never seen any hanging up , and yes again a site sponsor on hear FFC , so why go elsewhere ,

support the local mom and pop shops guys