Fly Fusion Forums

Arrrgh! It's Spring Allright! Dandelions!!!

yesterday there were none to be seen and today they are all over the place down here. NooOOOOoooooOOOOO!!!!!!!

I hate the little buggers. There are so many down here that people just ... give up, so when I have 3 lawns west of me covered in them and I try to keep mine dandelion free it's a pain in the arse.

Anyone got any suggestions? Does a strong fertilizer really do any good.. some people say the better your lawn is the less the weeds grow, but I haven't seen conclusive evidence and I feel like if I fertilize my lawn I am just fertilizing the weeds.

share your dandelion fighting tips/ tricks / stories in this thread!! :D

Yes, you can win the battle, even if you have neighbors that like dandelions.

Get on it right away and don't let up. The healtheir your lawn is, the more it will choke out the dandelions.

I like to fertilize every 4 to 6 weeks. And I don't cut the grass too short.

I pull all the dandelions as soon as I see them pop out.

Brian, what I try to do as soon as I start seeing them is to cut them out... If I do it once a week, I usually get a bucket full, and if I keep at it, I can control them fairly well... The crux is that you have to get on them and keep on them or they will get out of hand fairly quickly...

Oh and the obvious caveat is that your lawn is much larger then mine!!

P

Any commercially availabe formula of 2-4D, Dicamba, Mecaprop (commonly called Killex) will work if you have a large area. Only spray the dandelion plant and that will ensure you are not over applying. Keeping a longer lawn will prevent dandelion seeds from germinating as they are not going to get enough light.

Fertilizing and strengthening the lawn will help crowd out dandelions. Dont use weed and feed. They are not effective as a combination and you will be applying unnessecary herbicides.

There are also new products on the market that are based on Iron Chelate that are good at top kill but will not kill the root. Repeated top kill will eventually kill the plants. These are marketed under the trade name Weed Be Gone, or Fiesta. Iron chelate is an alternative to traditional herbicides and is relatively benign. The up side with using iron is that you lawn will take on a nice dark green colour.

Once you get your yard free of dandelions you can apply turf maze (corn gluten meal) which will prevent weed seeds from germinating and will also act as a mild fertilizer.

Andrew

Guest JayVee

Yum!! Cook those with some salt beef and tatties & neeps and you have yourself something worth eating there ;)

Oh really,

Isn't this just xenophobia?

I know people are going to defecate on me, but they're just dandelions. Has anyone been seriously injured from them? (annoying allergies aside - I have allergies myself) Consider the consequences of 'chemical solutions': they are definitely harmful. If you really must kill and conquer this way, please be responsible.

I just cut the damn flowers off. From 15 feet away, I can't tell the difference. Happy hunting.

Cheers

Thanks for all the ideas. I think I'll just keep fighting the good fight and cutting them off like I have always done (I don't really like chemicals either, they just end up in the river at some time).

Already been out a couple times with the dandelion poker thingy (I have no idea what it's called but you get under the whole weed and it'll cut it off way down deep)

yesterday there were none to be seen and today they are all over the place down here. NooOOOOoooooOOOOO!!!!!!!

I hate the little buggers. There are so many down here that people just ... give up, so when I have 3 lawns west of me covered in them and I try to keep mine dandelion free it's a pain in the arse.

Anyone got any suggestions? Does a strong fertilizer really do any good.. some people say the better your lawn is the less the weeds grow, but I haven't seen conclusive evidence and I feel like if I fertilize my lawn I am just fertilizing the weeds.

share your dandelion fighting tips/ tricks / stories in this thread!! :D

Poison them. Go get poison stuff from home depot or rona and places like that. Or take the weed waker or lawn mower and that should kill them buggers :)