Fly Fusion Forums

Some Advice And Knowledge Needed

Guest bigbadbrent

Guest bigbadbrent

Im thinking of taking next year of school off to go traveling, and mostly fishing.

So pretty much i want to go to new zealand (i know, real original) for both the fishing and the atmosphere. I'd want to go to argentina, but i don't speak spanish, and don't really have an good mind to learn different languages (im a science geek, not a humanites, what can i say)...

Sooo does anyone have any experience down there, what is pricing like, any contacts i can get ahold of? anything!?! ideas for other places, anything!

Argentina is an awfully big place so my commentary may only hold for the places I know and my experience is with Buenos Aires (province & city). Getting by without Spanish is doable in places like Buenos Aires or Cordova but it gets dicey in rural areas. Having said that though, it's not that tough as long as your polite, patient and are willing to at least try some Spanish. Anywhere there is allot of angling though your likely going to find english as pretty much the default language, the same is true of anything that's tourist driven in Argentina (which is allot these days).

I have not fished there but I've been there a bit for business and it's *amazing*. The Argentines in the rural areas are pretty serious about their hunting and fishing, as much or more so in some areas as here. If you end up committing to going let me know and I can point you in the right direction for what's safe, what's not, how to get around while there etc.

-al

Guest bigbadbrent

i know what you guys mean......i think taking a year off would be good for me, but i'll definitly re-evaluate it once this year is done. Just trying to see what things are open to me

i know what you guys mean......i think taking a year off would be good for me, but i'll definitly re-evaluate it once this year is done. Just trying to see what things are open to me

wish i took last year off. hated every minute of it, and my grades showed it. IMO, no point in waisting your money if you not going to do well and actually learn something. (wish i knew that last yr).

wish i could take this year off? hell yes....dreading tommorows first day...

Even better - the U of C has an excellent international program. Many of my friends spent a whole year in some other country, and did so with excellent scholarships. They learned a lot about their chosen field and spent some great recreation time as well. I know there are programs with Australia and I'm sure if you looked into it you could go to NZ or South America too.

And, if you think school sucks...just wait until the part where you get to work for 40 years. :D

And, if you think school sucks...just wait until the part where you get to work for 40 years. :D

Yes Rusty, but the reward at the end is that you get to retire and fish every day if you want. It's worth it, right Clive? Oh, I forgot, Clive's off fishing in a secret location. Terry

PS, I vote with the stay-in-school-and-finish-before-travelling crowd.

I remember when my friends were finishing university and I had been in the Navy for 3 years. They all could not wait to get out of school and start work. I told them to stay in school as long as they can as the shine wears off of work pretty quickly. I highly recommend you go ahead and finish, then travel. As many here said, use it as a reward. It also give you a chance to clear your head and figure out what it is you want to do with the next part of your life.

Wish I could do it all again!!

I'll go out on a limb and disagree with most of the folks here. Life is tremendously short and I would never advocate spending your time on something you do not feel your able to commit to. I am not saying that your education is not important, because clearly it is, but I am saying that if you feel you actually have the discipline to return (and this is not simply a cop out), I say go. I left school early and took some time to live. I did eventually return and I did much better than I had previously. The whole experience of taking a break left me no worse for wear. I am surrounded by men I work with who are in the same boat. I think the real fear is that leaving equates to not coming back and finishing out. U of C is not going anywhere and nor is the industry you will eventually enslave your soul to. Good fishing though is harder and harder to find.

-al

I'll go out on a limb and disagree with most of the folks here. Life is tremendously short and I would never advocate spending your time on something you do not feel your able to commit to. I am not saying that your education is not important, because clearly it is, but I am saying that if you feel you actually have the discipline to return (and this is not simply a cop out), I say go. I left school early and took some time to live. I did eventually return and I did much better than I had previously. The whole experience of taking a break left me no worse for wear. I am surrounded by men I work with who are in the same boat. I think the real fear is that leaving equates to not coming back and finishing out. U of C is not going anywhere and nor is the industry you will eventually enslave your soul to. Good fishing though is harder and harder to find.

-al

I'll sit on both sides of the fence on this one. Alhuger's post has merit. I actually went back to University after being away for 8 yrs, and when I went back, I was totally committed to it. Finished on time, got good grades, knew what I wanted to do. So Brent, I guess if you are the type that really knows his own mind and believe that you will go back to school, then do what you think feels right. It will probably work out either way. Just come back with some good stories, whatever you decide.

ex-travel agent here. i was lucky, finished school and then went to work - pay sucked but got to travel a lot. i'm in the 'do what your heart desires' group.

i'm in the middle of seriously considering selling the house, quitting the job, finding a place to buy where i can live mortgage free and work at some where like tim hortons or walmart - mindless work and then travelling for a few months a year and working as i travel.

anyway,

back to the fishing/travelling thing. although nz may not be that original, i do have a friend who is a travel agent and is from nz, with a number of friends down there. she may be able to point you in that direction. she has also said the fishing there is amazing.

other ideas, carribean (ocean fly fishing the shallows), pategonia, europe. try for work permits/visas so you can work while you are away. research fly fishing destination magazines and see if you can find a speciality travel agency. might ask at whatever local fishing store you frequent.

i do have a canadian travel industry guide for info - but the link is at work. if you want me to do any leg work for you, pm me.

the benefit of travelling while you are under the age of 30 is that most countries will grant working travel visas without much hassle, such as having enough money in your bank account to survive on while you are in that country for 6 months. i have known people who had to prove they had at least 50K in the bank before a just an entry visa was granted never mind the work visa, which is usually more difficult to get.

true, but you do need a work visa if you plan on staying there for a bit and want to earn some cash on the crappy days you aren't fishing. unless of course you have wealthy parents or hold up a bank on your way to the airport.

Canada has an agreement with many countries who do not require a 'travel' visa in order to visit for less than 90 days but they wont let you work.

i agree with rusty and wongrs. an exchange program would be a good way to continue your education and travel.

After 25 years in construction i wish i had 6 months of school every year,especially in the winter here in the LOWER RAIN LAND :angry: .My vote finish school than travel.TK :rolleyes:;)