Fly Fusion Forums

Looking To Purchase A 9.9 Outboard Motor

RussC

I am looking to get some opinions from some of you that may be in the know. I am looking to purchase an older (1991) 9.9 outboard that has not been run in 15 plus years. It was just recently started and ran fine but with 15 year old oil. Could this be a problem (running it with old oil) for this motor in the future?

Thank you in advance Russ C

How long did it run with the old oil? Probably would have been a good idea to change it first.

I would put new oil in it right away if you're going to run it again. There's a good chance that it will be fine, but there's also a chance that if it ran on the old oil for a length of time it could have done some damage that will surface in the near future.

Hi RussC.

You need to give us more information here. What make. 2/4 stroke, how long was it run and was it in a tank/muffs/lake? This is probably not the best place to solicit the information you want to know. Go to iboats.com and then klick on forums. I have been an active member on the Johnson/Evinrude forum for some time and I am always amazed at the vast knowledge of the members and their willingness to help out. The forum has expert advice from 1 HP up to 200 and every year they have been made as well. You should check the compression before you buy and change the impeller as soon as you do buy it. I would also recommend that you pull the carb and soak it in cleaner at a minimum but myself I would do a carb kit at the same time. You will need a service manual and with it in hand there is is no problem/maintenance you should be afraid to tackle. Good luck. Rick.