Fly Fusion Forums

My Favorite Boatman Pattern

kungfool

Looks like a decent pattern, is it your favorite looks wise or catcha lotsa fish wise??

Answer: Yeah it caught plenty of fish.

What does the pearl flash tail simulate?

Answer: Trailing bubbles, pooping lightning... doesn't matter as long as they keep catching these guys as good as there were on Saturday:

kevin2_sept_8_07.jpg

kevin1_sept_8_07.jpg

Great looking Fly (and fish), Kungfool. I like the lightning idea. I gotta try that.

Can you share how you fish this fly? There are a few different ways. I like slow sink line with 1in strips as fast as you can go.

Sure. I was using full floating line with a 12 foot leader and was floating very slowly about 70 feet from shore. I used a single small bb about 2 feet up from the boatman (to keep the fly's pitch level and moving up and down slightly). I cast to the bank and every couple seconds make a 4 or 6 inch strip. Was drawing brutal strikes. I am sure there are hundreds of other effective techniques.. this is just mine.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone ever use peacock herl for the body?

Kungfool, notice any difference between biot legs and rubber legs for fishing? I always use rubber legs, but just out of habit.

Ya know I prefer rubber legs as well. They seem to reduce the possibility of the boatman rotating when stripping. I am now tying all my boatman with rubber legs in both black and olive.