Fly Fusion Forums

Tapered Leaders

I'm still fairly new to forum posting, so I'm not sure whether I can ask opinions about certain makes of equipment or manufacturers.

If I can, I'm looking for opinions on Crystal River products, especially leaders.

I can buy them cheaper than other leaders; but does cheaper sacrifice quality ( sometimes, but not always )?

If not Crystal River, what is a good leader for Bow River fishing?

Thanks

It depends if you are fishing dry fly wet flies streamers or nymphs. Also if you are using a Spey setup. I do different leaders for each situation. As for products, in the end you do get what you pay for.

I'm still fairly new to forum posting, so I'm not sure whether I can ask opinions about certain makes of equipment or manufacturers.

If I can, I'm looking for opinions on Crystal River products, especially leaders.

I can buy them cheaper than other leaders; but does cheaper sacrifice quality ( sometimes, but not always )?

If not Crystal River, what is a good leader for Bow River fishing?

Thanks

It depends if you are fishing dry fly wet flies streamers or nymphs. Also if you are using a Say setup. I do different leaders for each situation. As for products, in the end you do get what you pay for.

Thanks SD

I was thinking more along the lines of streamer & nymph fishing where how a line turns over isn't that critical.

I'm not sure what a Say setup is.

Thanks SD

I was thinking more along the lines of streamer & nymph fishing where how a line turns over isn't that critical.

I think he meant Spey, but I can't be certain.

I will typically just tie a perfection loop onto 9-10' of 10lb mono to create my own leader for nymphing. I was once asked, why use a $3 tapered leader to nymph when 1. it turn over doesn't matter as much, and 2. you'll likely end up either busting off, or getting a hell of a knot in it and need to scrap it anyway. I also use about 2' of 15lb mono tied to 3' 10lb mono on a sink tip for my streamer fishing. This way, you still have a "taper" that's better for turning over the heavy streamer.

I use tapered leaders pretty much exclusively for dry flies. I will usually get the three pack Rio Trout leaders at wholesale sports for $12.

Yup, straight mono for nymphing and streamers. 10lb Maxima or Fluoroclear are pretty good. Tapered leaders for all my dry fly fishing. For tapered leaders I figure since one lasts me most of a season I'll get the Rio ones and spend the extra buck or so. It's one of those things where you get what you pay for. Also, I buy them from the local shops because I know how quickly they go through them. That way I know they haven't been sitting up on the wall in direct sunlight for the past two years.

Oops sorry slip pf the key, I meant Spey. As for streamers I normally just use about 3 to 4 foot of mono, no taper. It's usually to short to affect turnover.

Thanks SD