Fly Fusion Forums

Share Your Passion, Take A Buddy Fishing

I went to a Memorial Service for a friend today. He was a good man, he died too young, and it was very touching to see all the people who turned out for the service. During the service, one of his family members was talking about his favorite things. One of them was fly fishing.

About 2 or 3 years ago I took my friend fly fishing. If it was not the first time he tried it, it was certainly one of the first. I took him to some water I used to frequent back then, and tried my best to impart my meager knowledge of the sport. I seem to remember him catching a nice rainbow, but that could be wishful thinking. We fished together another time or two, and I did see him on the river a couple of times after that. Like most things he did, he got into fly fishing with a single minded focus. I remember being afraid to talk to his wife because my friend was a notorious workaholic, and here I introduced him to another thing that was sucking up his time. I sorta lost track of him over the next year or so. I did hear he was sick, and always meant to call. I never did, which is really too bad.

I am totally floored that fly fishing was mentioned as one of his favorite activities. I spoke to his wife and she said he fly fished all the time for several months before he got sick. And that he would come home and tell of how he "almost got one." He was addicted to it and loved it. I had no idea. I wish we had got to fish together more. I will regret that for a long time.

But what I will truly take from this is how important it is to share our passion with others. It did not matter that he was not catching many, if any, fish. He loved being out on the water. How great is it that I got to help him get started in something that brought him so much pleasure? There are those who will say that one should hoard their knowledge and that introducing new people to fishing just leads to overcrowding, and that people should just figure it out on their own. I think they completely miss the point. We should never fall into the trap of selfishly guarding our knowledge and passion. I know this sounds all touchy feely and crap, but it so much better to share our love of the sport with others and infect them with the same passion we feel. I hope to infect as many people as I can. If that means more people on the water, so be it. I am perfectly ok with that. If I want solitude when I fish, I know many, many places to find it.

I'm probably not eloquent enough to explain how important I think this is. I hope someone who reads this and introduces a buddy to fishing.

Well said Rick.

I've been trying to get some of my friends into fly fishing, hoping to share my limited knowledge with them. All to no avail. One of my friends moved back to Edmonton, the other, to the Grand Caymans. Never had a chance to "teach" either of them to fly fish, though one did mention a feigning interest in it, but needs shoulder surgery, so he kept opting out. Then he moved away.

I now have to wait for my kids to grow up a tad more so I can teach them. That, is definitely something that I am looking forward to.

Yes Nicely Said. As much as I usually fish with someone, I do also enjoy a day once in a while on my own, more so if I have an issue to work out. Otherwise I have had the pleasure over the years of fishing with my friends on a regular basis. Just over a year ago, I lost my best Bud to cancer. Way too young. We practically lived on the Bow, and fished many other waters. Had the pleasure of watching his boys grow up on the water, to find them to be very good fly fishers. I miss the hell out of him, and often talk to him when I hit the Bow.(Corny Huh) I gave his eulogy in my fishing shirt. Next year, there are at least two more I will show how to fish. When my day comes, my Bud and I will fish all our dream waters, Cuba for bone, Alaska for trout and salmon, and again the Bow. I always new how much I enjoyed it, and realize even more now that Greg is gone. Planning a spring trip to 2 BC lakes in his honour with about 4 of our buds and at least 1 of his 2 boys. Some scotch and a toast may be involved as well. God Bless Bud, I am likely jelous of your new fishing experience. PL :fish_jump::laxfisher:

I went to a Memorial Service for a friend today. He was a good man, he died too young, and it was very touching to see all the people who turned out for the service. During the service, one of his family members was talking about his favorite things. One of them was fly fishing.

About 2 or 3 years ago I took my friend fly fishing. If it was not the first time he tried it, it was certainly one of the first. I took him to some water I used to frequent back then, and tried my best to impart my meager knowledge of the sport. I seem to remember him catching a nice rainbow, but that could be wishful thinking. We fished together another time or two, and I did see him on the river a couple of times after that. Like most things he did, he got into fly fishing with a single minded focus. I remember being afraid to talk to his wife because my friend was a notorious workaholic, and here I introduced him to another thing that was sucking up his time. I sorta lost track of him over the next year or so. I did hear he was sick, and always meant to call. I never did, which is really too bad.

I am totally floored that fly fishing was mentioned as one of his favorite activities. I spoke to his wife and she said he fly fished all the time for several months before he got sick. And that he would come home and tell of how he "almost got one." He was addicted to it and loved it. I had no idea. I wish we had got to fish together more. I will regret that for a long time.

But what I will truly take from this is how important it is to share our passion with others. It did not matter that he was not catching many, if any, fish. He loved being out on the water. How great is it that I got to help him that in some small way? There are those who will say that one should hoard their knowledge and that introducing new people to fishing just leads to overcrowding, and that people should just figure it out on their own. I think they completely miss the point. We should never fall into the trap of selfishly guarding our knowledge and passion. I know this sounds all touchy feely and crap, but it so much better to share our love of the sport with others and infect them with the same passion we feel. I hope to infect as many people as I can. If that means more people on the water, so be it. I am perfectly ok with that. If I want solitude when I fish, I know many, many places to find it.

I'm probably not eloquent enough to explain how important I think this is. I hope someone reads this and takes a buddy fishing.

Nicely said Rick, well done

Well said is right Rick...

I lost my father to cancer last weekend, and tho we weren't that close for the last 20 years, I realize now what I missed over the years. How I wish I could go back in time and get those fishing trips in. So many regrets on both sides, I know that now. I haven't been back to Newfoundland in 11 years, but tonight I sent out a couple of emails to say that come August, i'm there. My fathers death made me get back to basics, really made me think about what really is important in life.

One email was to my Uncle Bob, the man that taught me to flyfish. He's the master, and he's been fly fishing for 60 years now - I used to get pissed off and impatient due to age but sitting on the banks of the river watching him work the flies is something i'll never forget. I told him late August to warm up the rods, be ready, cause i'm coming home and I can't wait. Been aching to get up to my ass in the cold mountain waters back in Newfoundland and this year i'm doing it.

seems futile but well said rick

I also lost my father to cancer 3 years ago at the age of 50. Living on a river in ontario he introduced me to fishing and it became an addiction for me at a very young age. If he hadn't set me up with a worm and a sinker with the ol' zebco reel (we all know the one i speak of) i would have never fell in love with the sport.

I have a couple of friends that have expressed interest in fishing, one of which is my girlfriend.

And i whole heartily agree, take a buddy fishing. If they are anything like me, once you catch your first fish and feel the fight of another living animal, your hooked!!

R.I.P papa!

seems futile but well said rick

Probably is futile for some. But hopefully not for everyone.

Great stories guys.

My dad died of cancer as well, and was my best fishing friend. He introduced me to the sport (obviously) at a very young age and instilled his love for fishing in all his sons.

I will tell one quick story about him (that has been on this forum before I think). On the DVD that was made for the funeral, there were lots of fishing pictures. There were several fishing pictures with people I did not recognize. I asked my mom who the people were and she explained: Back in the 80s, my dad's shrimp boat was docked at a big marina. He supplied the bait shrimp to the marina, among other things. The marina had a big triple boat launch. Sometimes he would meet families (usually a father and son or sons) who were pulling out their boats and in talking to them he would learn of their frustration in trying to catch fish. So if he had time, he would ask if they wanted to go back out. If they did, he would take them out and show them some well known locations and help them with techniques. More often than not he would put them on fish. But even if they didn't catch any that day, he gave them the skills necessary to be able to come back to the dock with fish on their next trip. Sort of a random act of fishing kindness.

That is the legacy I have to live up to.

Hi Rick, All words well said for your friend and father. Your point motivated me to reply, not wanting to detract from the original message. Obviously it brought up some great things, a number of us had the joy of experiencing. But your points are very important. I have family that are growing up, and still have the fond memories.So be proud of your contribution to your friends interest, as your Dad would be proud that you carried on his. Not trying to take away from the conversation. If anything, motivated by it. I am very happy to be a part of good memories, for many people, and happier if they pass it on to friend or family. Here is to fun times fishing, fond memories with friend and family, and contributing to our legacy. Paul