Fly Fusion Forums

Pointless Boat Build

So, following up to the AutoCAD request I had in another section I thought it was time to start a build thread for the skiff I am building.

I am just in the design phase and tweaking some idea that I have. If you ever plan on building a boat, or just want a good read about the history of McKenzie River drift boats you have to read Drift Boats and River Dories: Their History, Design, Construction and Use by Roger Fletcher. He is a great guy, and along with Dave Z. from The Happy Trout Chronicles we have been finalizing my designs.

So far, this is what the boat will entail. I am sure there will be planty of changes along the way. Basically it is a flat bottom skiff, roughly 16' x 7' at the oarlocks.

skiff_drawing.jpg

The UPS man also brought me a present today. Oars before the boat, cart before the horse, but I got a deal from the guys at Hyde I could not pass up.

IMG_1934.jpg

I will have to wait until I get back from Vegas before I make some sawdust.

Stay tuned.

Andrew

Andrew.

What is the Autocad you need done. I can probably get it done for you.

Dan.

Dan,

I was looking for some help with turning my plans into CAD drawings. I have a couple of people who volunteered thier expertise, but if that falls throughI will look you up.

Your the guy I should be talking to about SS hardware.

Andrew

Looks good Andrew,

Correct me if i'm wrong.The Mackenzie style was made more for the whitewater,the skiff is more for slower rivers.

I like the low sides and fat ends Lol.As you said it really is a pointless build.

I just found a source for a whole box load of 8" C-clamps that i can borrow for a few days.Let me no when you need them I'll get them to ya.

Looks good Andrew,

Correct me if i'm wrong.The Mackenzie style was made more for the whitewater,the skiff is more for slower rivers.

I like the low sides and fat ends Lol.As you said it really is a pointless build.

I just found a source for a whole box load of 8" C-clamps that i can borrow for a few days.Let me no when you need them I'll get them to ya.

Yes, the Mckenzie & Rogue styles are more for white water & the skiff is for cruising slower rivers, but will handle some white water. There are some nutty pictures out there of guys running the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon at run off. Not for fishing, just for thrills.

For sure I will hit you up for those clamps when I get to the point when I need them.

Yes, my boat is pointless.

Andrew

• 1 month later...

Weekend Update:

So with the great weather we had this weekend I made some progress on the boat.

sawdust-1.jpg

Sawdust

strongback.jpg

Strongback / Lofting table

bulkheads1-1.jpg

transom.jpg

Transoms & bulkheads - The long bulkheads are what will be the rowing bench and the other smaller ones will be the interior transoms.

Next step will be joining up the bottom panel to make a 16' by 5' sheet and scarfing together the chines which will be 20' - 1"x3". With the chines & the bottom made up I will be able to mark out the lay out of the bottom and start lofting the boat.

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Scaph Joints are complete & ready for epoxy. It is kinda scary when you take the firts swipe of the plane to a $100 peice of plywood.

I tried to use my new electric power plane, but my Dad's Stanley No.5 plane did the best job, after a thorough sharpening. Cleaned up with some sandpaper and they are looking good.

IMG_2002.jpg

IMG_2000.jpg

IMG_1996.jpg

Andrew

Looks good.I ended up scarphing mine back 3.5" on the 1/4" Ended up with a 3" overlap (glue joint)

Between the two of us were gonna start a boat building frenzy.LOL!

To get the 12:1 I cut mine back 72mm since the ply wood I was using was 6mm, not a true 1/4". By the time it was all said & done it was closer to 75mm.

I dont know about a boat building frenzy, i am so torn at this time of year. I want to fish, but I want to work on the boat. So many mistresses, so little time.

Andrew

• 8 months later...

Rather than clog up Mike's FS thread with my boat stuff here is an update on the pointless boat.

I took a new job this summer so that really cut into my free time, and it seemed when it came down to fishing vs. doing boat building I opted to go fishing. At least when I'm fishing there are not another 100 things staring me in the face that need to get done.

Here are some pics with some explanation.

u47ymg.jpg

Left the garage door open that night to find the boat & garage covered in midges. oops

rg7p.jpg

These are what the boat sides look like before going in my basement for epoxy resin. In case you were wondering my wife was out of town when this shot was taken.

5qipy.jpg

Couple of coat of epoxy and my secret make it smooth technique for that wet look. http://duckworksmagazine.com/03/r/articles/glass/bottom.htm

be9whv.jpg

Back to the garage

w1ppbh.jpg

Jr. sanding some cuts before I screw up cutting the transom.

So lately i have been laying out how I want the transoms to fit. Not working from a set of plans definitely makes things more difficult.

Andrew

Ah i get it now thanks for the pic.So not really a framed boat as you have bulkheads that are the frames so to speak and no frames where you'll stand.The chine board replaces the fillet so you can glue and screw the sides to the bottom.I suppose one could screw it all together with no glue flip it over and remove the strong back and see what you have.Mark out any changes then assemble the strong back back in and take it apart.

Looking good.

Ah i get it now thanks for the pic.So not really a framed boat as you have bulkheads that are the frames so to speak and no frames where you'll stand.The chine board replaces the fillet so you can glue and screw the sides to the bottom.I suppose one could screw it all together with no glue flip it over and remove the strong back and see what you have.Mark out any changes then assemble the strong back back in and take it apart.

Looking good.

Yes, in the case of a framed boat the chine replaces fillet that you would make on the S&G boat. A couple of those bulkhead are temporary and will be replaced with ribs. Since I am not working from a plan I wanted the option to experiment a little with widths and the angle of the sides, especially in the front.

A

• 3 weeks later...
How did the "make it smooth" technique work out?was it just epoxy or FG and epoxy?

The technique worked very well. I used it for both. I FG taped the end of the scarfs on the sides & the rest of the sides are resin over wood. I did one with the technique & the other without. I think the side with the overlay helped soak the FG tape, especially after it was smoothed with the roller.

Overall I am extremely happy with it. The finish looks like glass, I would have never been able to get it that smooth with any other technique.

I did the first coat just with the foam roller & then did the overlay technique on the second coat. Count on having to use a new sheet each time, you may be able to reuse it if you are careful.

Next time I will use .020" PetG vs. the .030. It is easier to work with.

Here is a diagram showing the theory at work.

film_layin-Xsection.jpg