Fly Fusion Forums

Handheld Gps Units For Hiking And Mountain Biking

I'm looking for a handheld GPS unit to use for hiking and backpacking that has maps that work well through Western Canada and around the Northwest US. Ideally something that I can setup trips ahead of time on the computer and then follow while backpacking or biking.

Do anyone have experience using these???.....and of the models that are available and do you have any recommendations for good or bad ones? I have used a Garmin GPS for roads and have found it fairly reliable but have never used one in the bush.

Thanks guys!

Mark

I would check out the Garmin Oregon Series. I had an Oregon 450 for a while until it was stolen from my car around Christmas. I did quite a bit of research before buying and originally was sold on the 60csx however they are no longer come with SiRF chipset which used to make them much better than most other units. They have a quad helix antenna which makes them a little more accurate than the oregon series, however the touch interface of the oregon trumps the slightly better accuracy of the 60csx in my opinion. You can also make your own custom maps using google earth that are compatible with the Oregon series. ( I had a 60csx but returned for an Oregon)

I used my Oregon in the car and when hiking and fishing. My advice is to avoid getting a unit with maps pre-installed and instead trying out some of the free maps that are available from a site such as http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/

I looked high and low and GPS city here in Calgary by far had the best price I found (better than amazon.com and every other tradional/online/ebay store I checked out).

They also create great videos on the different units and post them on youtube. I would check them out.

Good luck with your search:)

Guest JayVee

I haven't looked too much into this myself yet but I have a friend in the know about these things and he raves about the 60csx.

Guest JayVee

Yep, I'm buying a fish finder from them...$550 at GPS city, $630 elsewhere.

I looked high and low and GPS city here in Calgary by far had the best price I found (better than amazon.com and every other tradional/online/ebay store I checked out).

I would check out the Garmin Oregon Series. I had an Oregon 450 for a while until it was stolen from my car around Christmas. I did quite a bit of research before buying and originally was sold on the 60csx however they are no longer come with SiRF chipset which used to make them much better than most other units. They have a quad helix antenna which makes them a little more accurate than the oregon series, however the touch interface of the oregon trumps the slightly better accuracy of the 60csx in my opinion. You can also make your own custom maps using google earth that are compatible with the Oregon series. ( I had a 60csx but returned for an Oregon)

I used my Oregon in the car and when hiking and fishing. My advice is to avoid getting a unit with maps pre-installed and instead trying out some of the free maps that are available from a site such as http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/

They also create great videos on the different units and post them on youtube. I would check them out.

Good luck with your search:)

Yup, I've been researching a handheld GPS as well and settled on the Oregon 550. The only downside to the Oregon is that the screen can be difficult to read in bright sunlight from what I've read. Plan on pulling the trigger on the purchase some time this week so I'll see how it is.

I have a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx. I think it has been replaced by the GPSMAP® 62st. I did do a quick look on eBay, and the 60CSx is like $220.00 (newest version is like $500). These are more ruggedized (which I like because I am brutal rough on gear), and I think that they have better reception due to the external antenna. I have never had the reception go out on me in the back country. Like any LCD screen, it can be hard to read in direct sunlight.

I don't know how many more features the newer versions have, nor how rugged the touchscreen versions are. The 60CSx does everything I need it to do, and more.

And I have the ibycus maps as well.

I have the Garmin Dakota 20 and have enjoyed it thus far (Oregon's little brother). Main reasons why I bought it is because of its size (nice and small ), very rugged (has a rubberish outside & I purchased a invisishield for the screen) so it should be able to take quite a beating and I can drop it in water without worrying, and it is cheaper than the Oregon. The touch screen is responsive and I find the navigation of the units menus and maps very intuitive.

I paid just over 300 for it online.

Yup, I've been researching a handheld GPS as well and settled on the Oregon 550. The only downside to the Oregon is that the screen can be difficult to read in bright sunlight from what I've read. Plan on pulling the trigger on the purchase some time this week so I'll see how it is.

The screen can be a little hard to read in the really bright sun, however I could always make out the map. I don't believe that the screen protectors help with visibility however I still think that they are worth it:)

I just pulled the trigger on the Garmin 60CSX.....was able to get GPS City to match Costco's price as well as picked up a few accessory items that I could not get from Costco. Rickr you are right...that price just could not be passed up. I tried to justify jumping up to the Oregon but for the money it was too big a gap.

I did buy the Canadian Topo as I am not real patient with technology so thought it would be a more streamlined way to go...may find its not needed in the end but it we'll see.

Looking forward to getting some backcountry fishing in this year!