Fly Fusion Forums

Pac 900 Fs - Suggestions For Owner

kungfool

Hey guys,

Just picked up a PAC 900 FS today (still in the box) and was wondering if any of you guys have any recommendations or advice on setting it up, and/or modifications or add-ons you would recommend. Plan to use in on both still and running water of course. Looking forward to hearing from any of you!

Cheers!

I just got a Fishcat Panther last fall so I'm still rigging it. I picked up - rod holder, mounting for sonar, anchor, 12volt pump, good manual air pump. Still need flippers and emerg repair kit.

Regards Mike

Forgot the most important-- Top of the Line Life Vest.

A couple of things i would suggest,

Lay down some screen or mesh all around the seating area before you attach the seat,this helps to catch anything you drop also makes storage a little better.On mine i extended it in front of the seat about a foot i have a bungee cord across the frame to hold it up.I like this better then the bib.

For rivers you'll want flippers something thats easy to get in and out of with your wading boots on also you need some sort of safety strap around your ankle.

Rod holder or holders are good ,one out the front and another for storage.The one in the front has to be low enough or high enough that it doesn't get in the way of the oars.

Anchor is a must,for still water anything will do but for rivers you need something that will grab.My first anchor was just a lead ball maybe 7 lbs i found it wouldn't hold the boat even in 2' of water with little current.I always had to pull the boat up on the rocks and with flippers on it was a pain.Being able to drop anchor a couple of feet away from shore in 2 or so feet of water made it easier to get out of the boat walk back wards to shore then remove my flippers with out having to worry about the anchor slipping.

Also for still waters you'll want a front anchor, nothing heavy but it will stop the boat from swing around i just use a 3lb ball attached to some rope that i tie off on the front of the frame.

Those drink holders that attach to the underside of the seats work well also a place for your pliers and such.

Enjoy your new ride,IMO other then having someone row for ya its the best way to fish the Bow.

Lay down some screen or mesh all around the seating area before you attach the seat,this helps to catch anything you drop also makes storage a little better.On mine i extended it in front of the seat about a foot i have a bungee cord across the frame to hold it up.I like this better then the bib.

For rivers you'll want flippers something thats easy to get in and out of with your wading boots on also you need some sort of safety strap around your ankle.

Rod holder or holders are good ,one out the front and another for storage.The one in the front has to be low enough or high enough that it doesn't get in the way of the oars.

Anchor is a must,for still water anything will do but for rivers you need something that will grab.My first anchor was just a lead ball maybe 7 lbs i found it wouldn't hold the boat even in 2' of water with little current.I always had to pull the boat up on the rocks and with flippers on it was a pain.Being able to drop anchor a couple of feet away from shore in 2 or so feet of water made it easier to get out of the boat walk back wards to shore then remove my flippers with out having to worry about the anchor slipping.

Also for still waters you'll want a front anchor, nothing heavy but it will stop the boat from swing around i just use a 3lb ball attached to some rope that i tie off on the front of the frame.

Those drink holders that attach to the underside of the seats work well also a place for your pliers and such.

Enjoy your new ride,IMO other then having someone row for ya its the best way to fish the Bow.

thought your Jet boat and a good assortment of Rapalas was the best way to fish the bow! :dropphish:

Love this idea already. Ill look into this for sure.

thanks!

Thanks for taking the time guys. Ill definitely get a good PFD, the flippers, an anchor and the oar locks.

For the PFD I was thinking on a CO2 inflatable. Never used one, and not sure if they are reliable. Anyone use one? Here is the one I'm looking at:

Inflatable jacket

I prefer the suspender style of inflatable as they are fairly comfortable in hot weather and in cooler weather you can fit them over top of heavier clothing. As far as reliability, I can't say as I never had to use it (knock on arborite).

Regards Mike

I prefer the suspender style of inflatable as they are fairly comfortable in hot weather and in cooler weather you can fit them over top of heavier clothing. As far as reliability, I can't say as I never had to use it (knock on arborite).

Regards Mike

Thanks Mike. I'm unfamiliar with suspender style inflatables. What brand do you use? Did you buy it here in Calgary?

Thanks Mike. I'm unfamiliar with suspender style inflatables. What brand do you use? Did you buy it here in Calgary?

I have Nautilus bought at Canadian Tire (25% off sale) and my buddy has Mustang (Fishing Hole). Both pretty much the same and DOT/Coast Guard Approved.

Regards Mike

Kungfool,

I use different anchors depending on bottom substrate.

For flowing water, I like a 10 lb. mushroom that can be tipped over and digs into the bottom.

For stillwaters c/w mud bottom a 5>7 lb. flat lead works fine. For sand/rock bottoms I increase the anchor weight to 10 lbs. For lakes like Bullshead where the wind can really blow, A claw type anchor maybe the only one that holds.

NOTE: If you like chasing your boat, get a downrigger ball and use it on flowing water.

Like everything, there are no "right" answers.

Don

Kungfool,

I use different anchors depending on bottom substrate.

For flowing water, I like a 10 lb. mushroom that can be tipped over and digs into the bottom.

For stillwaters c/w mud bottom a 5>7 lb. flat lead works fine. For sand/rock bottoms I increase the anchor weight to 10 lbs. For lakes like Bullshead where the wind can really blow, A claw type anchor maybe the only one that holds.

NOTE: If you like chasing your boat, get a downrigger ball and use it on flowing water.

Like everything, there are no "right" answers.

Don

Thanks for the info Don.

I was looking at the mushroom style online before your post, and was wondering if it had any advantage over a pyramid. I plan on doing mostly rivers with this boat and use my Fatcat on the smaller lakes like Beaver. I trust your judgement and will likely pick up the mushroom for the rivers (10-12 lb). I dont typically fish windy area lakes so I tihnk I can get away without the claw for now but Ill keep it in mind for future trips.

See you at your office this spring!