Fly Fusion Forums

Islander Reel Info

ÜberFly

Ok I have consulted with one "Islander guy" already and I'm interested in some more opinions...

What's a used Islander LA 3.4 in "good condition" (10 years old with a few dings, chips and scratches) with 2 extra spools, worth?!

P

Taco,

Not bloody likely for a 10 year old reel in "good" condition... I agree it's a quality reel but condition is king and this one IMHO ain't all that great! I mean a 10 y/o reel in "mint" condition (or NOS) would maybe be worth 80% of a new one...

P

Islanders, in Canada at least, are like Hardy reels, they don't deprecate much from new pricing. I wouldn't pay more than 80% of new 'mercian price

I agree with both of you. Islander pricing is a little screwed up here in Canada. You can buy a new Islander IR for around 350 here in Canada, and most people will sell them used for 250 or 300. You can also buy the same reel NEW for 250 on Ebay from a US dealer.

As Taco said, Canadians value their Islanders more than Americans it seems.

And they're great reels...I have a little IR1 on my 2 wt that I love.

Taco,

LX's replaced the LA's in maybe 2008 (I think)... The one in question is from 2001

NOS = New old stock...

P

I assumin' you're talkin' LX reels

Used LXs are bringin' $375-450 on ebay, new price in the excited states is $550

or are you talkin IRs?

Taco,

LX's replaced the LA's in maybe 2008 (I think)... The one in question is from 2001

NOS = New old stock...

P

I'd still bet that reel w/2 spare spools would bring 3 bills plus on ebay

Do Islander reels buzz when the fish run? Sorry if that's off topic P..

One thing i thought was odd is the LX buzz real nice going out,but even louder when you reel them in.I always thought this was a little weird.

The IR on the other hand has a very nice sound a little loud when there new but seams to smooth out as they age.

OK did some research, the LX is just the LA renamed. The design is basically unchanged. I can get a new 3.4 outta States for $470 cdn, spools @ 2 bills each. Assumin' I'm talkin outta my rectum about the 75-80% used value lets call it 2/3rds of new. That's just what an old Albertan w/a sunburnt neck who prefers click/pawls would pay for a used Islander if it ain't beat to death. Your own mileage may vary.

The reel is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it, at least that's what my Econ prof told me years ago...

Too True, its amazing what collectors will pay for Islanders and Hardy's. I think Taco's thinking as far as price is pretty spot on, you don't see to many (if any) bargain prices on Islanders.

Colin

I'll take my old Hardy Marquis over the new Islanders any day.....None of them came even close to costing what we now pay for a fly reel, in-fact my first Hardy Marquis (which is still in use today, and at least forty years old) cost $40, and the newest would be at least 20 years old and cost around $120 or $140. You can't say that about any of the reels today even the cheap ones....I can say this because I also have several Islanders for salmon fishing as well as a Ross and one Islander for trout, all of which have been delegated to being backups to my Hardy's.....Some people will say that a reel needs stopping power, well, my Hardy Salmon Number 1 does not have stopping power and yet I have no problem playing, and landing Chinook salmon with it, simply by palming the spool.