Fly Fusion Forums

Help Me Get Set Up

BammBamm

I just got a really good deal on a Amundson Wind Warrior Spey rod (WWS4-1268F). Now I have to put a reel on it and a line. I have never spey casted before and want to learn. So I am not looking for something too advanced for a first timer. I figured I would spend the majority of my budget on the line. Can anyone give me some suggestions and if you have owned ther WWS rod let me know your opinion of this rod.

What kind of fishing are you looking to do with it and where?

I would like to start spey fishing the bow to learn but then i would like to start taking trips to the coast to try steelhead. So i am just looking for an all around spey set up.

hope this helps

I would like to start spey fishing the bow to learn but then i would like to start taking trips to the coast to try steelhead. So i am just looking for an all around spey set up.

hope this helps

Also what would be a good video to buy to teach myself how to spey cast??

Trev,

Your best bet for learning is to hire someone like Colin (Cdone) or Greg (Toolman) (or another spey guy that teaches - sorry those are the only ones I know of) next time you are in Calgary to go through the basics... I don't know about you but I learn much better in person then what I watch on a video or from a book... You can get a lot out of even an hour or 2 learning session!!

Just my 2 cents.

P

Trev,

Your best bet for learning is to hire someone like Colin (Cdone) or Greg (Toolman) (or another spey guy that teaches - sorry those are the only ones I know of) next time you are in Calgary to go through the basics... I don't know about you but I learn much better in person then what I watch on a video or from a book... You can get a lot out of even an hour or 2 learning session!!

Just my 2 cents.

P

Ya I learn much better that was as well. I will have to look into those guys and find out how much sessions are

Thanks P

Also, keep your eyes open for FFC sponsors hosting demo and spey days (most likely not until late spring early summer)...

P

Ya I learn much better that was as well. I will have to look into those guys and find out how much sessions are

Thanks P

Do you want to go skagit, scandi, or mid-belly? Does the rod have a grain window printed on it? I'd guess if you're going skagit then something between 500 and 600 grains should work but I've never cast that rod so couldn't say for sure. The reel should be big enough to fit at least 100 yards of 30lb dacron, your running line, and the skagit head and tip. On my 7wt spey rods I use a Danielsson L5W 8twelve with a 510 grain compact skagit or 525 skagit flight.

Unfortunately nobody can tell you which line will work best for you on that rod. People can tell you what they like best on it and give you a starting point, but there's a lot of personal preference involved in the exact line pairing. I have a Z-Axis 9143 that I use a 660 grain skagit head on, but I know someone who's a better caster than me who prefers a 720 grain on the same rod.

Here are some line recommendations from someone else with the rod. Get a large arbor reel as you'll be carrying a lot of line and you need to balance out the rod. You could always email Amundson directly and ask them for info on the rod and recommended reel/line weights (info@amundson.ca).

Airflo compact Skagit 530 grains

Rio Skagit Flight 525 grains

RIO AFS 7/8 with spey polyleader

Airflo delta 7/8

If you get a skagit line you'll need a tip as well, go ask the FishTales guys about them! They explained it to me for like 20min one day haha

Good Luck and welcome to the new addiction!

Here are some line recommendations from someone else with the rod. Get a large arbor reel as you'll be carrying a lot of line and you need to balance out the rod. You could always email Amundson directly and ask them for info on the rod and recommended reel/line weights (info@amundson.ca).

Airflo compact Skagit 530 grains

Rio Skagit Flight 525 grains

RIO AFS 7/8 with spey polyleader

Airflo delta 7/8

If you get a skagit line you'll need a tip as well, go ask the FishTales guys about them! They explained it to me for like 20min one day haha

Good Luck and welcome to the new addiction!

Thanks Everyone for the info, Lethfisher you have this same rod?? what do you think of it??

bammbamm,

Here's a few really good video's 1) rio's modern spey casting, http://www.rioproducts.com/product.php?recKey=120. 2) Ed Ward's Skagit Master, http://skagitmaster.com/. Last time I was @ Fish Tales they had em both.

I'm also relatively new to spey casting and have learned a pile from the these 2 video's. But these video's won't correct your inital bad habits nor give you feed back as to what you're doing right or wrong.... So as Uber mentioned shoot Colin ( CDONE ) or Greg ( Toolman ) a pm a get out on the water with em! Both these guys have set ups they can bring along for you to use.

I would hesitate to buy a line for your rod untill you've atleast learned to shoot some line. There are so many different weights and lengths of both heads and full lines it will only confuse this *hit out of you!!!

Once you can you've learned a few basics Fish Tales has a few skagit and scandi kits at the store you can take out to find the perfect line/head for your rod. It's a great way to dial in your rod and not spend $100's of dollars by trial and error buyin' heads you think might work and end up not loading your rod!

Check out the link below from rio's web site that explains the often difficult to comprehend spey line categories etc...

http://www.rioproducts.com/photos/file/Und...ines%202011.pdf

I also have a TFO 425 with backing and brand new running line I need to part with... shoot me a pm if you're interested and maybe we can make a plan to get out on the river together. The picture is a stock photo I poached but the reel is the same colour just a wee bit larger.

37b00718.jpg

Craig

No hiring necessary, once the weather warms up shoot me a PM and we can get out, I've got a few lines that should work well on the WW as well as a few rods you can try also (might as well start the addiction now :devil:

olin

If you are looking for a Calgary based spey instructor I would recommend getting in touch with Maxwell Robinson 403-510-9810

I will be back in Alberta teaching beginner and advanced classes(private and group)this spring:

- Lethbridge - May 27 - June1

- Calgary - June 2 - 4

- Grand Prairie - June 5-6

send me a pm or email if you would like more info

I agree with the advice about trying different lines on your new Wind Warrior. You will probably find that the 510 compact skagit casts best as overlining this rod gives it a very mushy feeling

good luck

Brian Niska