Fly Fusion Forums

Decent Digital Camera?

I have been looking at the threads about the flys people have tied and i would like to post a few of mine, but all i have is my iphone and the camera is definetly not good enough. So i was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a digital camera that would be good for this and also ill be using it on the river as my fishing camera. i picked up a new 4wt setup this year so the fishing budget is pretty stretched, so something thats fairly inexpensive would be ideal...

I learned my lesson with cameras a few years ago, and my good camera is now at the bottom of devil's lake west of Edmonton. Now I take my old 3.2 MP kodak with me, if i lose it then what odds. Not the greatest for the distance shots but overall, it works great. That kodak has taken a beating over the years and it's still going strong.

I have been looking at the threads about the flys people have tied and i would like to post a few of mine, but all i have is my iphone and the camera is definetly not good enough. So i was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a digital camera that would be good for this and also ill be using it on the river as my fishing camera. i picked up a new 4wt setup this year so the fishing budget is pretty stretched, so something thats fairly inexpensive would be ideal...

I have the Fuji Finepix water proof camera that I picked up a couple years ago. Price is right at $169.

This is the newer model. Looks nicer and has more features from what I can tell.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/fuji-f...699bbcc67e6en02

Takes pictures that look like this:

DSCF0375.jpg

DSCF2979.jpg

Macro works well too

DSCF0208.jpg

If you want waterproof/underwater, good macro, and good quality outdoor pictures have a look at Pentax Optio Wxx models. You may get older versions on a budget.

Other brands like Olympus, Panasonic, Canon too have good underwater P&S cameras.

Should you not need waterproof camera, go with the known brands, e.g Canon or Nikon. For fish and macro photos you do not need long telezoom capability. I suggest models with image stabilizator.

As for everyone, I suggest research the models and then go try them out (take photos in the shop or even get one on the 30 days money back guarantee).

Thanks for the replies guys, the fuji seems like a solid deal and i like that its waterproof. But i took a look at the pentax and thats a pretty nice camera but the price is a little high so i may need to re think how much im willing to spend and what exactly im looking for out of this camera. but i think it definetly needs to be waterproof, dont wanna get caught in the rain and forget the camera is in the vest, or accidently just drop it.

Have the Canon D10 and it's a pretty good camera. A little bulkier than some of the others but the photo quality is top notch.

Agree with the above. They all take good underwater shots, but the Canon is the best I've used as an all around camera as well.