Fly Fusion Forums

Hyde Used Boat Sales

i...ah...talked to a guy at the ff show who did that last year.

let's just say he would never deal with them directly again. woulda gone private as it's much more wysiwyg. no 'broken promises'.

take that for what it's worth.

nothing gainst hyde personally.

my Father, who may or may not be the guy referred to from the show, had a deal to buy a used boat off a friend in Terrace (Gil McKean)...Lamione (SP?) Hyde offered to deliver it to Calgary as he was delivering a new boat to Terrace and my buddy there, as well as go fishing...

Long and short of it, Hyde never went to Terrace, as the deal fell through, he never told my Dad this, rather delivered a used boat from Idaho or wherever, and acted as if it was the same.

He also added another $500 to deliver, and added taxes. Driving to Terrace, plus time, was worth $500 so Dad didn't think much of it until last year when i found out he never bought the boat from Gil...

Needless to say, Gil was pissed...as was my Dad, who got a nice used boat, but under a cloak of dishonesty. When Hyde was confronted by Gil, he argued that my Dad was HIS customer as Dad looked into a new boat at the show...he looked into it, asked a few questions, but went for the nearly $5000 savings of Gils boat.

I've had several discussions with numerous people, including old dealers of Hyde boats, who were hardly surprised by this story, as they had several of their own.

I would suggest contacting Gil at Westcoast fishing adventures if you want a Hyde, as he still has an excellent LP fly fishing model boat for sale last i heard, personally, I'd by a Clackacraft...

• 2 weeks later...

I also would by a Clack.....and if you are making the trip down south you do not necessarily have one picked before going down.....I went down and brought it back from Idaho falls a couple of years ago and Clackacraft had a yard full of boats. In my opinion the quality is much better on a clack and the guys were first class. Matt Kelley was the one I spoke with the most but also talked to John at the FF show when they were here. Had no problems at the border....pay your GST and go. You may want to give them a heads up your coming as it does require some paperwork coming back...and the dollar is so strong right now. Very happy with the deal and the guys were good to deal with!

If you want anymore specifac info just sent me a pm.

I think H2O bought one from Hyde like that. His may have been new. I can't remember.

Bought mine new in Feb 2005. Hyde brought it up to the FF Expo with them. Paid about the same as I see a lot of guys selling for used.

I wouldn't be concerned about the used boat; I'm sure it will float. However, don't discount the condition of the trailer and ensure there are fresh repacked bearings. If you can swing it try and get them to throw in counter balanced oars instead of the regular, you'll be glad you did.

• 2 weeks later...
Bought mine new in Feb 2005. Hyde brought it up to the FF Expo with them. Paid about the same as I see a lot of guys selling for used.

I wouldn't be concerned about the used boat; I'm sure it will float. However, don't discount the condition of the trailer and ensure there are fresh repacked bearings. If you can swing it try and get them to throw in counter balanced oars instead of the regular, you'll be glad you did.

Not sure if I'm too late to chirp in but we went the used Hyde route 3 years ago and I'd do it again no problem. We drove to the border to pick it up as they said it was easier for us to clear with a used boat than it was for them. Boat was exactly as they said, and there had been many pictures exchanged back and forth. They had all the paperwork in order and we were in and out of customs within 30min. Biggest hassle was getting the trailer registered, and that wasn't really too bad. Let me know if theres anything else you need to know. Pull the trigger on the deal, the guys at Hyde are great to deal with.

Not sure if I'm too late to chirp in but we went the used Hyde route 3 years ago and I'd do it again no problem. We drove to the border to pick it up as they said it was easier for us to clear with a used boat than it was for them. Boat was exactly as they said, and there had been many pictures exchanged back and forth. They had all the paperwork in order and we were in and out of customs within 30min. Biggest hassle was getting the trailer registered, and that wasn't really too bad. Let me know if theres anything else you need to know. Pull the trigger on the deal, the guys at Hyde are great to deal with.

Thank all for all of the advice. It's a done deal and boat will be delivered to Calgary in the next couple of weeks. I was a little nervous at first but after seeing all the pictures (before and after reconditioning) and making sure that I didn't have to pay up front before inspecting the boat on delivery. Was going to go the sweetwater route but for the extra couple of hundred $ it worked out cheaper than having to drive from Jasper all the way to the border. Has anyone have any idea when the boat access will be open @ Mac.

• 1 month later...

Hello all.

Boat arrived on Good Friday, couldn't have been a better day to pick it up, nice and warm and a beautiful drive from Jasper to Cow town but no time to fish. Boat was exactly as described no surprises and basically nicer than what I expected, new paint job inside in out, bottom was flawless and chine’s were rebuilt. Jim and crew @ Hyde were excellent to deal even though I was pain with all the phone calls and asking for more photos. All in all if anyone was to ask if I’d recommend buying a used boat from Hyde it would be a resounding YES. Now if I could sit in it having a cold beverage other than parked in my driveway it would be grand but my time will come soon enough hopefully for a two night camping trip in early May.

Later Ray