Fly Fusion Forums

New Or Used Beginner Set, And Used Pfd

Hi All, My wife will learn to Fly Fish this summer. I would like some feedback on new or used gear to start. I prefer a warranty rod. Any suggestions on a decent 5/6 or 6 wt, largely for the Bow? She liked the Amundson deal at the show this weekend, but I am not fond of a 1 yr warranty. Any good used rod and reel sets out there? KnotLikely got me in to a nice sage 10 wt, thx again for that Rob. Feedback is appreciated. Also any deals on good PFD's out there, as she can't swim, yet I am a swimming god. OK a bit too much, I am a strong swimmer. Thx in advance. PL

My 1st was a tfo 6 with a mayfly reel and rio line, talk to the chris at fish tales he'll hook you up. still use that rod in winter.

lift time warranty that can be actioned in a day.

Thx Teck, I have a 5wt Left Krey, and quite like it for the level of Rod,. Good feedback. Paul

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i am still running 2 of the $100 Lefty K rods and i have been actively trying to snap them on fish in Alberta and it just wont pop! im running 8lb tippet on the 2wt and i have yet to get a snap out of it yet. i have pulled in a 24" bull and many many 3-5lb cuts/bows.

if you dont mind the fact that they are 2 pc rods they are very durable.

Paul,

What kind of PFD are you looking for? Are you looking for a self inflating one?! If so, don't go used!! There are many discontinued models on the used market that are discontinued for a reason... You & your wife's lives are worth buying new. They're not all that expensive ($100 - $250) - relatively speaking. I have the Mustang with hydrostatic valve ($250) http://www.mustangsurvival.com/products/pr...d=508&mc=27. It can be manually inflated or if it is submerged in 4" of water, but not if it is raining or gets splashed... There was a thread a few weeks ago regarding this exact topic and there are several on the market (CDN Tire carries another brand)

Peter

Paul,

What kind of PFD are you looking for? Are you looking for a self inflating one?! If so, don't go used!! There are many discontinued models on the used market that are discontinued for a reason... You & your wife's lives are worth buying new. They're not all that expensive ($100 - $250) - relatively speaking. I have the Mustang with hydrostatic valve ($250) http://www.mustangsurvival.com/products/pr...d=508&mc=27. It can be manually inflated or if it is submerged in 4" of water, but not if it is raining or gets splashed... There was a thread a few weeks ago regarding this exact topic and there are several on the market (CDN Tire carries another brand)

Peter

Thx again Peter

Hi All, She liked the Amundson deal at the show this weekend, but I am not fond of a 1 yr warranty.

The one year is unconditional, they replace the rod or rod section at no charge. You just send it in. After one year, they have a nominal replacement fee, $25 for upper sections, $60.00 for the butt. Pretty much the same as TFO.

my first rod was the crosswater reddington combo.it was $99 for rod, reel, line ,and backing.i just ordered another crosswater combo off ebay,brand new one for$69 for my 10 year old.his is a 7.5ft 4 wt. i still use my first rod as much as my more expensive rods.

The one year is unconditional, they replace the rod or rod section at no charge. You just send it in. After one year, they have a nominal replacement fee, $25 for upper sections, $60.00 for the butt. Pretty much the same as TFO.

Thanks, I too was at the show, but the lady did not explain the after 1 year factor. Getting lots of good feedback.

Paul,

One thing I will also mention as this rod is for your wife, is that you should try to go with as light a rod as possible... Unfortunately that is usually synonymous with a higher price tag (unless you go pre-owned)...

Just my opinion/preference...

P

• 2 weeks later...

We have a couple of Templefork 6 Wt rods, 4 piece, for travel. They go everywhere, and they have a lifetime warranty. I've used the warranty once, right in Cowtown after breaking a tip trying to release a tree-trout... I love these rods for their durability, service and portability.

I've used Mustang gear since the 70s. My folks were acquainted with the founder of the company and we tested early Mustang product in our home pool once. A Mustang PFD, brand new, Canadian MOT approved, is the way to go. :wave_smile:

Good luck and tight lines :)