Fly Fusion Forums

Netflix And Your Favourite Movies

I recently picked up Netflix on my Ipad to watch some movies.

Heck I thought $8 for unlimited movies sounded pretty good. So far I am not super impressed with their selection but, they do have quite a few older movies that I like. From what I hear when Netflix first launched in the States it was the same way and over time when more people subscribed they were able to offer more recent movies and a better selection. So I think I will keep with it for now.

Anyhow I just thought I would start a thread to find out what other peoples favorite movies are.....maybe I am missing out on some gems.

Also what are your favorite fly fishing films?

Fishing Films

- A River Runs through it. (not much fishing but the actual plot line is pretty good.)

All time Favourites

1. Shawshank Redemption (epic movie)

2. Fifth Element (Favorite sci fi film)

3. Super Troopers (damn I still use the 1 liners from this one)

4. Shaun of the Dead (british humour at its best)

5. 300 (best graphic novel adaptation I have seen in awhile, you should read the graphic novel if you haven't)

6. Any Given Sunday (Al Pacino has the best speech ever in this movie, life is about inches)

So many others but Ill stop here.

And for FUN- Worst movies I have seen

1. Druids (Christopher Lambert should have never left the Highlander series

2. Battlefield Earth (my god this one was a stinker

I subscribed to Netflix when I lived in the states. I don't know about the on line version, but their DVD selection was fantastic. I don't think the lack of selection in Canada has anything to do with number of subscribers in Canada, I think it is a rights thing (though that is total speculation). Much like on my kindle, where there is more selection for first run books in the US than there is in Canada. Could it be a Canadian content thing? Don't know. I do know that the Netflix selection is presently too weak for me to subscribe.

That said, I have been a shareholder in Netflix since 2003. Made a pretty small buy that has gone up 17-20X since then. So everyone subscribe please!!

The wife tricked me into watching "Catch and Release" - its a SCAM, its just a chick flick with a clever title, watching Kevin Smith trying to flyfish will make you pull out your own hair LOL and after Jennifer Garner made me feel guilty about being a C&R angler I started cheering for her two-timing dead ex LOL

One of my Fav fishing Movies is Clay Pigeons (OK, its not really a fishing movie) When Vince Vaughn see's the "floater" and starts yelling "ALARM ! MAN OVERBOARD" then to top it off with using a spin rod to tow the body ashore, too funny - the fact that Joaquin keeps going back and fishing the same lake despite new never catching a fish is something I am sure many of us can relate to.

Another movie that has some flyfishing in it that I watched last year was Jindabyne - it was not what I expected but turned out to be one of the most moving films I have seen in years - Its a powerful drama that is not for everybody, but I personally really enjoy movies that leave you sitting in your chair pondering life long after the TV screen goes blue.

Some of my fav classics include: Mad Max, The Rivers edge, The Last Supper, Very Bad Things, The Thing, True Romanace, No Country For Old Men. I also love westerns, especially those filmed locally. I am a big fan of the evolved mini series as well (Boardwalk Empire, Dexter, The Pacific, Generation Kill, Band of Brothers) - I watch alot of forign and B movies as well.

The movie my wife hates the most (and belive me its a big list) is "There Will be Blood", I always end spending the next few days after watching it wondering around the house yelling "BASTARD IN A BASKET !" repeatedly, in my best Daniel Day Lewis voice.

Shawshank, The Matrix (first one), Tombstone - Val Kilmer's portrayal of Doc Holliday - although maybe not historically accurate - has to be one of the best of all time!, The Dark Knight, Inception, The Usual Suspects, Back to the Future Trilogy, anything Star Wars or Star Trek.. most of the superhero movies..

I don't think the lack of selection in Canada has anything to do with number of subscribers in Canada, I think it is a rights thing (though that is total speculation). Much like on my kindle, where there is more selection for first run books in the US than there is in Canada. Could it be a Canadian content thing? Don't know. I do know that the Netflix selection is presently too weak for me to subscribe.

Yup, it's a rights/licensing thing though I think there's probably a CanCon thing there too. Apple just recently got iBooks cleared for Canada and had to make concessions for CanCon. iTunes music, movies, and tv shows are all affected as well.

Oh yeah - Blade Runner (best sci fi movie ever), Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Usual Suspects, Holy Grail, Clerks, The Thing, Alien, Full Metal Jacket, Outlaw Josie Wales, all the Leone/Eastwood westerns, Unforgiven, True Grit (both of them), Magnificent Seven, Godfather I and II, Serpico, Bourne trilogy, Reservoir Dogs, the Christian Bale Batman movies, Saving Private Ryan, The Longest Day, Tora Tora Tora, A Bridge Too Far, Jaws, original Star Wars trilogy, and the list goes on. Favourite fly fishing movie is Hustle and Fish but I doubt it's on Netflix.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

the licensing problem in Canada is apparently being looked at for review. If this is true it will open up the rest of the movies.

I like the service so far.

Lock stock and 2 smoking barrels and the boondocks are my fav

Can I just say I think LK2's avatar is brilliant.

For movies, I like many types, but I am sucker for beautiful cinematography. So, amongst the dozens I could add, I'll narrow it down to 2: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and I loved Pan's Labrynth.

Smitty