Fly Fusion Forums

Basement Floor Reno Question

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

We are fostering cat moms and their kittens and have dedicated a room in which to start them off safely. It is a basement bedroom. Cement floor but currently with underlay and carpet. We want to replace the floor with something durable, easy to clean, nice to look at, reasonably priced and water resistant. It should be something I can do to save money. I am an OK handy man.

It may someday be a bedroom again so I don't want to do anything weird and out of the ordinary.

Any thoughts?

I was thinking laminate...I think it is doable on cement floors if you put a plastic membrane sheet down first followed by a thin insulating and sound deadening layer. It has been a while since I looked at this.

Any thoughts and ideas guys?

We are fostering cat moms and their kittens and have dedicated a room in which to start them off safely. It is a basement bedroom. Cement floor but currently with underlay and carpet. We want to replace the floor with something durable, easy to clean, nice to look at, reasonably priced and water resistant. It should be something I can do to save money. I am an OK handy man.

It may someday be a bedroom again so I don't want to do anything weird and out of the ordinary.

Any thoughts?

I was thinking laminate...I think it is doable on cement floors if you put a plastic membrane sheet down first followed by a thin insulating and sound deadening layer. It has been a while since I looked at this.

Any thoughts and ideas guys?

Well, laminate is not water resistant. with an hdf or mdf core the product will certainly show swelling along the seams in a short time. It is resonably priced though and would serve its purpose for a while then if not in good shape easily disposed.

I recently installed a glue down vinyl floor that has the appearance of a hardwood but is very durable. It was installed in a restaurant, so a commercial situation and it performing quite well.

Problem is I can't find the product any more. It comes in 3" wide strips 3' long. You can see if you could find that.

Other wise make sure what ever product you get is designed for below grade, cork , laminate, engineered etc...

Hope this helps,

Dave

Well, laminate is not water resistant. with an hdf or mdf core the product will certainly show swelling along the seams in a short time. It is resonably priced though and would serve its purpose for a while then if not in good shape easily disposed.

I recently installed a glue down vinyl floor that has the appearance of a hardwood but is very durable. It was installed in a restaurant, so a commercial situation and it performing quite well.

Problem is I can't find the product any more. It comes in 3" wide strips 3' long. You can see if you could find that.

Other wise make sure what ever product you get is designed for below grade, cork , laminate, engineered etc...

Hope this helps,

Dave

linoleum or sheet vinyl- whatever they call it now plus some cheapo area rugs. Spraying shouldn't be a problem as long as the males are neutered in a timely fashion

As an aside- good on you for doing it!

Regards Mike

as a floor covering installer, i'd agree with both of these statements...if you are just using the room for the cats for the time being, i would highly recommend linoleum...for bang for your buck, pick out some discount lino from a reputable dealer...make sure the floor is prepped properly before laying any floor covering to ensure a level surface and good adhesion if you prefer to go the lino/PVC/vinyl route...then, after the fostering is done, you can prep over top of the lino for a more permanent floor covering rather than ripping out...hope this helps...

Guest Sundancefisher
as a floor covering installer, i'd agree with both of these statements...if you are just using the room for the cats for the time being, i would highly recommend linoleum...for bang for your buck, pick out some discount lino from a reputable dealer...make sure the floor is prepped properly before laying any floor covering to ensure a level surface and good adhesion if you prefer to go the lino/PVC/vinyl route...then, after the fostering is done, you can prep over top of the lino for a more permanent floor covering rather than ripping out...hope this helps...

Just to be clear...the mom cats and kittens don't make a mess but with kittens we can't use clumping litter so the other stuff is really dusty. We want the floor warm so lino on concrete while simple will make for a cold, cold floor. I am still thinking the laminate with underlay insulation R 3.8 should do the trick. Cost will be about $600 for room installed ourself...or $1000 is we get it installed. I am going to try and figure out how to do it myself and save the $$. Or so that is the current plan.

Is there anyplace that sell about 250 square feet of good quality...light wood color laminate cheap? Home Depot is fairly expensive and we don't need today's style. Just a light wood style/color.

Just to be clear...the mom cats and kittens don't make a mess but with kittens we can't use clumping litter so the other stuff is really dusty. We want the floor warm so lino on concrete while simple will make for a cold, cold floor. I am still thinking the laminate with underlay insulation R 3.8 should do the trick. Cost will be about $600 for room installed ourself...or $1000 is we get it installed. I am going to try and figure out how to do it myself and save the $$. Or so that is the current plan.

Is there anyplace that sell about 250 square feet of good quality...light wood color laminate cheap? Home Depot is fairly expensive and we don't need today's style. Just a light wood style/color.

Im not sure where,but isn't there hardwood flooring auctions just about every weekend?Maybe somebody will no.

Timbertown might be a good bet.

instead of lino, to keep the floor warm and save yourself a buttload of money, go to any carpet store, pick out some of their leftover stock (usually $100-$300 for a 12'X12' piece) and some cheap underlay ($50-$100) and install carpet in the room...that way you can keep the floor warm...

the reason i'm trying to steer you away from laminate is that for a temporary flooring solution, it's kind of a waste of money if you're just going to be tearing up and tossing in the near future...

but if you're absolutely set on laminate, i'll check my shop and see if i have any extra stock kicking around that will fit your room size and save you some cash...PM me exact dimensions and i'll see what i can do...

Guest Sundancefisher
instead of lino, to keep the floor warm and save yourself a buttload of money, go to any carpet store, pick out some of their leftover stock (usually $100-$300 for a 12'X12' piece) and some cheap underlay ($50-$100) and install carpet in the room...that way you can keep the floor warm...

the reason i'm trying to steer you away from laminate is that for a temporary flooring solution, it's kind of a waste of money if you're just going to be tearing up and tossing in the near future...

but if you're absolutely set on laminate, i'll check my shop and see if i have any extra stock kicking around that will fit your room size and save you some cash...PM me exact dimensions and i'll see what i can do...

Will do.

I don't want to tear it out right away...I want it to look nice and be functional and hold up well in case we need to use it as a guest bedroom when we don't have foster kittens.

Carpet just does not work for both applications...Whereas I am thinking bare laminate for the kittens...and laminate with a throw rug for a guest bedroom.

The wife wants something light wood colored so that the room is brightened up... I am also reading about cork being environmentally friendly...but the best thing about it is the insulating value. But will it soak up spills or be more like laminate?

see the following links:

http://www.ehow.com/about_5435869_cork-flo...e-flooring.html

http://www.homemakeoverdiva.com/cork-floor...inate-flooring/

http://www.ehow.com/facts_4798504_pros-con...k-flooring.html

http://www.ehow.com/facts_4813309_pros-con...e-flooring.html

in a nutshell; cork is more "green" and durable but costs more and can be somewhat troublesome to install whereas laminate is more prone to scratches, dents and warping but costs less and is easier to install...spills on cork are the same as spills on any flooring (the longer it sits, the more damage is done)...hope this helps...

• 6 months later...
Guest Sundancefisher

someone had generously mentioned they had a deal on laminate flooring. I deleted the email by accident. Please PM me back if possible. Our last batch of kittens are now up for adoption at the Meow Foundation so it is just a matter of time before the wife wants me to start this project.

Cheers

Sun