Fly Fusion Forums

New Years Day

I decided that rather than talk about how much I enjoy fishing I would actually get out there and give it a go. I decided to use the Spey rod for a couple of hours this afternoon, not so much for the long casts but more for the extra reach, I didn't want to get right up to the edge of the ice shelves. I walked for about 1 KM and found some likely looking water, tied on a 2 fly rig and after a dozen casts or so managed my first rainbow of the year. I didn't measure it with anything but the naked eye and guessed it to be in that 18 to 20 inch range. A beautifull, healthy fish.

As far as the water goes, there are lots of little ice burgs and slush ice floating down the river but you can time your casts to avoid them. I caught this guy in about 4 ft of water, 10 feet off the shore on a #16 black copper john. The top fly was some obscure red wire wrapped thing that I have forgotten the name of.

All in all, it was a great kick off to the new year.

Murray

Sorry MODS, this should probably be moved to the Bow River reports section. If you would be so kind, I will be forever in your debt.