Fly Fusion Forums

School Zones In Calgary

Also remember that public schools are out for Christmas vacation (last Friday) and Catholic schools are not (yet).

http://newsroom.calgary.ca/pr/calgary/calg...page_rss=165905

As the new school year begins the streets will be busy again with children heading to classes and a new start time for school zones comes into effect.

School zone hours have been adjusted to begin 30 minutes earlier than the previous 8 a.m. start time; they will now begin at 7:30 a.m. and end at 5 p.m.

“This change will help increase safety for children who attend schools with an early start time”, says The City’s Director of Roads, Ryan Jestin. “This will also provide additional safety for children who are involved in extracurricular activities prior to the school day.”

The school zone change has been in effect since August 1, 2010. Although there are different start dates for the various schools, the earliest classes begin is August 5.

The Calgary Police Service monitor and enforce speeds in school zones throughout the year. “Public safety is the number one priority for us and this change is an important step towards keeping our children safe. Motorists need to be aware of the dangers of speeding through school zones and must slow down”, says Constable Jim Lebedeff of the Calgary Police Service Traffic Section.

Motorists are reminded to slow down when in school zones and to pay extra attention when driving through these areas. Watch for children walking and cycling to school and heed school safety patrols.

For more information about school zones and school zone safety please visit calgary.ca/roads

Does anybody have a website that shows when school zones are in effect? Seems like when I go 30 km/h in them, half the time I get passed. Not sure if I'm the idiot going too slow, or if they are just in a bigger hurry than me.

Thanks

Does anybody have a website that shows when school zones are in effect? Seems like when I go 30 km/h in them, half the time I get passed. Not sure if I'm the idiot going too slow, or if they are just in a bigger hurry than me.

Thanks

They're in effect 7:30 AM to 5:00 PM on school days...it's on the sign. Watch the signs because some are year-round schools (indicated at the bottom of the sign) so have different holiday breaks than regular schools.

Playgrounds are in effect from 8:30 AM until 30 minutes after sunset.

Sorry guys, I guess my question was worded strange. I know what times, as they are listed on the signs. I was wondering dates as to the schools being closed?

Also remember that public schools are out for Christmas vacation (last Friday) and Catholic schools are not (yet).

How are we as motorists to know which schools are Catholics and which are public? This could especially be tricky if you are in a unfamiliar neighborhood. Seems there could be a better way...

Hi,

Have wondered for years the logic of school zones. OK, I buy into the "keeps kids alive stuff" but how come there is a school zone on Highway #11 just east of the Leslieville turn-off and another on Highway #22 @ the Westbrooke School south of Cromona. Both school zones are located in rural areas with all white kids attending.

Now there is a religious group with a school just to the west side of Airdrie - no school zone and yet another example - no zone on the native school located just south of Bragg Creek.

Are religious kids or natives less important? I'd guess the Alberta Govt sees it that way.

Don

Good points you brought up Don. Seems strange for sure.

If you really need something to remind you of school zone times you can get a sticker from any Police station. Its just a thin plastic film so it sticks to glass without leaving glue if you decide to move it.