Fly Fusion Forums

Proposed Regulation Changes For The Upper And Lower Kananaskis Lakes

beedhead

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

Nice to see things happening as a result of individuals' work and contributions. Good on you. The input here is valuable. I can understand both stances of the issue: leave it alone/enhance it. Please consider all the input. No need to criticize anyone.

My input: If the regs are to be changed, why allow any harvest at all? What are you going to do with a 50cm fish? Eat it? Most trout this big don't taste so good. I have kept big fish in the past and even from high-country lakes. Yuck. I don't do it any more.

Agree with Dave Jensen - data from the scientist/biologists is very important. Just for instance, what if we discover that because of the fluctuating levels, poor spawning, low temperatures, limited food supply, etc. that these fish reach a sticking point in size and numbers. Then the experts later speak up and say 'Well, we knew this. Why didn't anyone ask us?'

Cheers

It really is unbelievable the fluctuating water levels that are encountered at the K Lakes. A lot of bug life is destroyed. I wish Trans Alta would do something about that, but I guess people need electricity. Maybe things will change in the future. I remember back in May, when the water level is at it's lowest, and seeing shrimp and a few minnows scattered all over the place. Lame.

Dekkard, I thought Transalta didn't use that station for electric generation anymore.... any word on that?

I just contacted Jim Stelfox, and yes, it is being used for electric generation. It goes into a provincial grid, and then it can be used anywhere. I still think that there can be a way to change this so the fluctuation doesn't kill so many acquatic invertebrates. The demand for power is so high during the winter months, and that is when the level of both lakes drops so dramatically. I would like to get more educated on the whole power generation thing and see if something could be worked out with Trans Alta. There has to be an alternative that works for everyone. I hope...lol.

Guest Sundancefisher
Well, almost a year has passed and I think things are looking good. I just got home from the Prairies Area/Southern Rockies Fisheries Roundtable Meeting at the Bow Valley Habitat Station aka Sam Livingstone Fish Hatchery. I believe the proposed regs changes will go through. I will be happier when I open up the new regualtion booklet in the spring and actually see it in black and white. I want to give a big thankyou to all the people who signed the petition. You are awesome!!!Also, a big thanks to Jeff Wilson, Jim Stelfox from ASRD, Fish Tales, Southbow, and Wholesale sports. It took a lot of work and help from many people. If you knew me, you would know how special the K Lakes are to me. I love it. There is talk about putting in a spawning channel for the cutts in the UKL where Rawson Creek flows in. Studies have shown that egg bound females have higher mortality rates if they don't have a place to release their eggs. It would be a bigger bonus if reproduction would occur. Time will tell.

It is great news indeed.

Please have someone PM me if the spawning channel goes through. I would love to volunteer on that project.

Cheers

Sun