Fly Fusion Forums

Jon Boats

Hello and Merry Xmas all.

Partner and I are thinking on stepping from our NRS river cat (soon to be for sale) to a V bow jon boat c/w jet drive. Saw many last year on our annual camping trip on the bow and the Buckley, and was realy impressed on the versatilty, yes I've heard plenty of negative comments about them but personally I've had no issues with the smaller boats but the full on inboard type are a diffrent story.

So if any of you can provide info on brands, how to trick them out properly with an anchor system and a good rowing platform as well as advice on motors I'd trully appreciate it.

Ray

Hi Ray,

Adipose boatworks will be at the fly show in calgary and they have a very fine jon/jet that they can custimize for you and the price is more than outstanding and the performance amazing. Their boat is on plane at walking speeds and rows better than most boats of this nature. With that being said I have a G3 18ft centre console with tunnel and have been very happy with it and for an anchor system have been using the Minn kota anchormate, very slick and great when you are by yourself.

Hope some of this helps.

Hi Ray,

Adipose boatworks will be at the fly show in calgary and they have a very fine jon/jet that they can custimize for you and the price is more than outstanding and the performance amazing. Their boat is on plane at walking speeds and rows better than most boats of this nature. With that being said I have a G3 18ft centre console with tunnel and have been very happy with it and for an anchor system have been using the Minn kota anchormate, very slick and great when you are by yourself.

Hope some of this helps.

Adipose will be there. SWEET i have been looking at thier skiff and would like to check it out.

Andrew

All depends on how much$

if you want plain and cheap then a riveted Jon in 14-16' with a 40/30hp tiller is what is most common.You don't get much storage space and they row OK, nothing special.

Anchors can be easily added by either running down the gunnel's with pulleys or threw the floor running the rope threw a hose. Rig your self up a pulley/davit off of the front.Foot releases are also easily built.

If your looking for more, like dry storage and more HP. A welded boat is the next step ,wider and thicker bottoms more storage but these boats are heavy.So more HP is needed.Most would also be imposable to row.

I would be looking south across the boarder,you should be able to find a good boat for a good price.