Fly Fusion Forums

Bird Feeder

Stocked up my small bird feeder table on Saturday to give the little guys a hand. It was appreciated by the many Chickadees visiting. had a small group of Bohemian Waxwings on Sunday passing through that had fun with the sunflower seeds, peanut butter and suet that I put out. The small feeder with roof was a good idea because of the number of Magpies I seem to have gained around my neighborhood. If you have a mind to the little guys could use a hand during the really cold weather.

My wife has been putting out bird feed everyday since I've known her. She loves them. We have a heated bird bath that they love in the winter too. We have a family of Blue Jays in the area who LOVE the peanuts we put out for them.

The recent weather has seen more of them coming by as well. I actually saw the squirrel who lives in our tree eating the suet the other day lol

The one one I use is:

1 part melted lard then mix in

1 part chunky or smooth peanut butter

6 parts cornmeal

Then, pour your warm suet 'soup' into the mold, I use the bottom of an old milk container. Lots of different ways of making it, you can add sunflower seeds nuts etc. You can also just buy the cakes. I put mine in the feeder adn alos smear it on some large pinecones.

My wife has her feeders up and running, and there have been lots of takers this past week -- mostly chickadees and nuthatches. Here's a photo of a family that visited our feeders last spring. They weren't very gentle with the feeders. Memo to self: take feeders down in the spring and don't put them back up until these guys have hibernated.

3009.jpg