Fly Fusion Forums

Chest Pack Vrs Fanny Pack

kim

I have the Orvis Safe passage pack(older model) and use it for those longer days on the water. I keep my DSLR in the pack with my lunch,water and rain coat. All my flys and stuff stay in the front.

For those days I want to pack light I just bought the Orvis Safe Passage Sling.

http://www.countrypleasures.com/store/

I bought a Fishpond fanny pack a while back and found that I got annoyed with something hanging on my waist and getting wet while wading. Switched to the smaller Fishponds chest pack which I love. I really like it when I want to go light, such as when doing a lot of hiking or in the winter when I only nymph with a few patterns. Still won't part with my full vest in the summer though.

Guest Jeremie

i just got the Sage waist pack, and i love it. Easily holds 3 flies boxes and a water bottle. Not to mention its waterproof so i could put my DSLR in there if need be!

I like to use both. I have a small chest pack for those essentials I need while fishing (fly boxes, tippet, tools, etc.) and a waist pack for the extras (food and water, rain coat, etc.). All of the chest or fanny packs I tried that were big enough to hold everything in one, were too bulky and cumbersome, and a backpack poses access issues. I found that dividing the load between two smaller units was the best solution, for me. I still sometimes go back to the old canvas vest when I'm in a boat, though.

Took the Exodus II out on its initial trip yesterday, took a bit of getting used to not looking for zipper pulls(magnetic pocket closures). Off the shelf I found the pack to fit quite big and i couldnt get it to fit me properly. After i played with a few buckles i found a way to get the pack to fit me perfectly, which is hard to do being all of 130 lbs soaking wet.

The pack is great, very user friendly, tons of storage, possibly a little too much, i have a tendency to fill all the space i have in this pack and it gets to be heavy

Well designed net keeper in the back, i still have to find an easy way to place the net in the back of the pack while i am still wearing it. other than that the pack is great and will serve me well for hopefully years to come

I've recently purchased a Fishpond Tundra Tech Pack and I'm totally impressed with it!! It might be a bit too big (I feel the need to fill it up)!! LoL! I just need to get a better sense of how to organize it...

I would highly recommend this chest pack/backpack, especially for those that like to hike up to the headwaters to fish!

P