Fly Fusion Forums

Looking For A Used Spey Setup

ratonb

Hey guys, don't know if this is the right avenue, but i'm looking to get into spey casting and was hoping to start off with a used outfit before I dumped alot of money into something i know nothing about. Looking hopefully for a 5, 6, or 7 weight setup if possible, rod, reel and line. Any casting instruction or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

First, what are you going to use the rod for? Swinging streamers for trout on the Bow? Steelhead? That will influence the length and weight of rod you should look at. There are good deals to be found in the trading post, but you can also get some good quality new rods at a decent price - Amundson, TFO, Echo, and Beulah I think. Whether you go new or used, make sure to try it out first.

First, what are you going to use the rod for? Swinging streamers for trout on the Bow? Steelhead? That will influence the length and weight of rod you should look at. There are good deals to be found in the trading post, but you can also get some good quality new rods at a decent price - Amundson, TFO, Echo, and Beulah I think. Whether you go new or used, make sure to try it out first.

X2 try out first. Spey rods are all very different, and they cost ALOT!

Maybe before you even buy a spey rod, just get a casting instructor for a lesson. He/she can provide rod/reel/line, and you will know whether or not this is for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Can I suggest you reverse the process ? Contact one of the local shops that have spey stuff, take the opportunity to take a casting lesson, then find a rod that suits you and your possible "style" of casting(fast or relaxed). Casting takes practice, be advised: there is NO "magic bullet", you develop a "style" and you acquire a rod that suits that style, then you add a line that suits the rod and your style and fine tune the line for optimum performance in your application.

j

• 3 months later...
i have a few sticks u can try that can stear you in the right ish directions!!! shoot me a pm!

can i take you up on that too?

am in the same boat...looking for a used starter setup i can work with, primarily swingin for steelies.

n e one know is is there gonna be a spring clave? i was told that's the opportune time to try a bunch a figure out what suits best.

can i take you up on that too?

am in the same boat...looking for a used starter setup i can work with, primarily swingin for steelies.

n e one know is is there gonna be a spring clave? i was told that's the opportune time to try a bunch a figure out what suits best.

I think Fish Tales is having their Spey O Rama April 24th, give them a call to confirm or check their website.

• 2 weeks later...
I think Fish Tales is having their Spey O Rama April 24th, give them a call to confirm or check their website.

I have a Wind Warrior spey rod for sale it is a 12'6 7/8wt 4pc. Send me a pm if you are interested.

Trevor