Fly Fusion Forums

Spawning Brown Trout

HOLY frikkin' snotballs did I ever see a big brown today. Like total mutant. I went in to Calgary today to get some things done and decided to take my pup for a walk and take a look at the spawning browns. I know a good viewing spot right in the city. I have seen guys holding big browns out of the Bow but when you see something massive up close and personal it is different. This fish was a solid 30"...if it taped out at 31 or 32" it wouldn't surprise me. And FAT...holy. I am still a lil shaky. I just thought I would share that. It was so cool. I hope you guys are having a good time fishing that special piece of water before it closes on the 31st!! If you are fishing the Bow make sure you watch your step. There are redds everywhere. Here's to a good year of winter fishing on the Bow and Crow and wherever else!!!!!!

HOLY frikkin' snotballs did I ever see a big brown today. Like total mutant. I went in to Calgary today to get some things done and decided to take my pup for a walk and take a look at the spawning browns. I know a good viewing spot right in the city. I have seen guys holding big browns out of the Bow but when you see something massive up close and personal it is different. This fish was a solid 30"...if it taped out at 31 or 32" it wouldn't surprise me. And FAT...holy. I am still a lil shaky. I just thought I would share that. It was so cool. I hope you guys are having a good time fishing that special piece of water before it closes on the 31st!! If you are fishing the Bow make sure you watch your step. There are redds everywhere. Here's to a good year of winter fishing on the Bow and Crow and wherever else!!!!!!

\

how sure can you be that it was a broonie and not a bloody nice 'Bull trout'...for I've seen several bulls that tried to deceive my eyes...Wolfie

I know what you mean dek, I saw something similar a few years ago. I was fishing in the city about this time of year and I foul hooked a 10" whittie. I was bringing the little guy in to an eddy to release him and a trout as long as my leg came of out of the deeper water looking to make a meal of it. It was so big it took a couple of beats to register that it was a trout, but when it did I had to sit down for a while... :blink:

If you saw that fish upstream of the Irrigation weir, it's already closed. Though it reopens on the first of Dec. I have seen more that a few people fishing in the downtown part, and in every case but one they immediately stopped when I mentioned it was closed. The one guy told me to mind my #*+@ing business, so I did and phoned RAP. They busted him. It is a good thing and I think allows those big spawners some peace to do their thing.