Fly Fusion Forums

Landing Fish With A Long Rod

lethfisher

I was out today with my decho 4119 and got into a nice rainbow while nymphing ( :blink: nymphing on a spey! lol), it was a beauty fish jumping all over the place and being generally awesome. After I got over the initial shock of hooking one, I was thinking how the heck am I supposed to land this thing? I was fishing on a bank with brush right up behind me and the water dropped off fairly quickly so there was no room to really walk out into the water to grab him. All I could think of was those henrik mortenson DVD's where he just runs up the bank into the bushes and beaches the poor fish, and I didn't want to do that. I also didn't have my net on me at that point... I was trying to reach down and grab the line but the fish/current was to strong and the rod was to flexy to grab it. It has hard when my arm is like 2.5 ft and my rod is 11'9" lol Do you guys have any tips on landing fish by yourself when using the long spey rods? The fish ended up getting off by himself so I didn't have to deal with it this time...

On another note anyone got an amundson 1134 that I might be able to test drive? Decho is pretty slow, would like to try a faster rod.

Thanks guys!!

Good question. Its is amazing how much info there is on how to cast and catch these beasts but NO info on how to properly land them with a long rod. Once the fish is ready:

- I try to keep the fish upstream and out a little deeper from me (downstream you continuosly pull the fish into the shallows which they dont like and will only prolong the fight. And also eventually lead the fish to be beached on the rocks - Bad).

- then i try to keep the fishes head out of the water, and position myself directly below it in the deeper water. while doing so holding the rod thus the fish in the same position as before

- once in that position I let out a little more line and try surf the fish into me. trying most of the time to tail the fish as opposed to grabbing the line

Hopefully this makes sense. Easier demonstrated than described.

PK

post-1728-1286815938.jpg

As PKK says works for steel...However trying to tail a fish less than 27" is damn near impossible.. The wrist of the tail is not thick enuff and the tail way to squishy to get a grip on. I usually have @ least 6LBS maxima if not 8LBS tied on that I can put the screws to the fish and skate up or down stream to me that I can grab the flyline...make my way to tippet than to fish...simply palm fish by the belly and bam...Next

On another note anyone got an amundson 1134 that I might be able to test drive? Decho is pretty slow, would like to try a faster rod.

Ladystrange (Tiana) has one that you should be able to borrow. She'll be at the Hook and Hackle meeting tonite. If she doesn't see this I'll have her contact you.

BK