Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing Kauai

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

Has anyone gone fishing here? Can you fly fish in any freshwater? Is there bonefish anywheres around this island? Anyone deepsea fish here?

Any stories or ideas would get great to hear...also pics if you got em.

Sun

I was supposed to travel there but friends had to cancel, but I did a little research beforehand. There is apparently some stocked rainbows in some of the faster, higher elevation steams around there. This was in the north and west-central areas I believe.

I discovered that Kawakoi, Kauaikinana, Mohihi, Waialae, Koaie, and Waikoali all contain trout. These are all in Kokee State Park. Season runs from June 1st to September 30.

I can't wait to hear what 420flyfisherman has to report about Kauai. I definately want to visit that island.

Yes, take your bonefish gear. I erred by not doing so last February. We were at Princeville and went down to Anini beach one day and plunked down on the beach to read and smoke a cigar. This is a public beach and there were a few dozen people on it stretch over about 1.5 km. Well holy cow, two guys get out of a jeep both carrying fly gear and I figured (correctly) that they were a sport and guide. They walked onto the flats for about 45 minutes and came back fishless. (I never understood why they just stayed a short while. It was clear after they finished that they parted company and were not going elsewhere.) Naturally I asked them about the fishing and the guide told me to give him a call as he had gear. I did not. Guides will sometimes hype up a water for the benefit of his current sport and prospective sports .. in this case me. But I was kicking myself for not taking my 8-wt and a few bone flies. Geez our condo was just 15 minutes away.

The guide was Rob Arita...here. He said there were bones on the Anini flats and I've no reason not to believe him. As bone flats go these were pretty small, but there were no other anglers out there and it looked like you could wade over a few hectares of these flats. They walked out about 300 m or so. Would been a good way to spend a couple of hours now and then.

Apparently lots of ponds and rivers have bass and other species .. access is an issue apparently.

All I caught were pictures...here.

And here. :):P

Has anyone gone fishing here? Can you fly fish in any freshwater? Is there bonefish anywheres around this island? Anyone deepsea fish here?

Any stories or ideas would get great to hear...also pics if you got em.

Sun

the hawaiin islands can be extremely dangerous places to visit due to native unrest towards non islanders. you may want to try mexico :lol:

Guest Sundancefisher
the hawaiin islands can be extremely dangerous places to visit due to native unrest towards non islanders. you may want to try mexico :lol:

driving slow like a tourist can make any local miffed. You just have to pull over and let them pass with their surf boards. Fortunately there has been no instances of your expectations for safe tourist zones with no attacks or kidnappings like never happen in Mexico. <--poke--<

I was looking up bonefish on the internet...seems there are some flats...a little wading but mostly deeper fishing. Seems like there are some bigger ones off the larger islands...pics I saw for Kauai did not seem really that big. Still...I would rather be able to walk and wade myself versus going with someone...unless access and location is difficult to find. Catching bass and trout would be cool...but that sounds like a longer trip. I am hoping there is a beach the kids can play at while I fish within a kilometer or so.