Fly Fusion Forums

Chrome Domes!

acurrie

Spent the last week fishing up near Terrace and Smithers and had one heck of a trip. Last year I was up there I only hooked 1 steelhead, lets just say this year was quite a bit different. The weather was spectacular, and the water was gin clear (and very low), but that didn't seem to effect the fishing to much. Like other have said on this site, I stayed away from the Kispiox and Babine because both were very very low. Here are a few highlights/ fish from the trip (Please note the fish were only out of the water a few seconds while taking photo's).

First Steelhead of the Trip

Steelhead006.jpg

An assortment of arsenal

Steelhead009.jpg

This Steelie had a massive scar near his tail, probably an eagle attack?

Steelhead022.jpg

Ahh Fall

Steelhead025.jpg

A brute!

Steelhead029.jpg

Steelhead031.jpg

very fresh steelie

Steelhead035.jpg

Crisp morning

Steelhead037.jpg

More to Come...

More...

Steelhead037.jpg

Trip wouldn't be complete with a few Grizzly photo's:

Steelhead041.jpg

This guy came out of the bush about 100 feet downstream from where i was fishing on the same side of the river, I don't think my heart ever raced so hard in my life. Luckily he glanced at me, but then proceeded to ignore me and catch salmon.

Steelhead053.jpg

Took me 15 mins to land this guy, what a fight.

Steelhead047.jpg

Steelhead014.jpg

Morice Steelhead are quite a bit smaller (and darker), although I did land a few larger ones.

Steelhead062.jpg

Great Run

Steelhead063.jpg

Last Steel of the trip, and smallest!

Steelhead065.jpg

By by Smithers!

Steelhead069.jpg

Thanks to everyone who gave me a few words of wisdom, obviously it helped out a lot! Thanks to Dennyd for letting me borrow his Buella 7/8 switch rod, sweet stick.

Until next year Skeena Country!

Add yourself to my list of most hated people! Its people like you and pictures like this that motivate me to cut my forearms to relieve the empty feeling I have inside. I just want to feel something.... and I miss it too much up there to feel satisfied in Calgary this time of year.

I'm obviously not THAT depressed about not being there, but its close. Can't wait to have my own life and own decisions so I can make trips there.

Looks like you had a great trip man, congrats, sweet pics!! I know exactly where the "great run" is, lol, I fished it a few times last year!!

Yeah, It isn't much of a secret or anything...lol. Most people don't fish up that high anyway which is kinda nice (Got 3 outta there in 25 mins)

Drew

Awesome!!!!....How were the battles with them there steel??...Get to see lotsa backing??

Yeah, saw the backing more then a few times. I accidentally hooked a ~35-40lb chinook in the Copper and I thought that was the last I was gonna see of my buddies 7/8 weight..lol. I would say at least 1/2 the steelhead peel into your backing on the initial explosion and run. I think my heart rate jumped from 60 bpm to about 150 bmp every time I hooked one. I had one huge steelie hooked up and he literally tail-walked across the entire river before spitting the hook, I must have used a few swear words after losing that guy.

Best of luck Riley, I know they got a lot of rain over the past week, so hopefully you will hit the rivers with perfect timing.

Drew

Yeah, saw the backing more then a few times. I accidentally hooked a ~35-40lb chinook in the Copper and I thought that was the last I was gonna see of my buddies 7/8 weight..lol. I would say at least 1/2 the steelhead peel into your backing on the initial explosion and run. I think my heart rate jumped from 60 bpm to about 150 bmp every time I hooked one. I had one huge steelie hooked up and he literally tail-walked across the entire river before spitting the hook, I must have used a few swear words after losing that guy.

Best of luck Riley, I know they got a lot of rain over the past week, so hopefully you will hit the rivers with perfect timing.

Drew

Awesome, man, just awesome....One day I might make it out there, and get my heart rate up....

Cheers...Jeff..