Fly Fusion Forums

Does That Sandwhich Smell Funny To You?

reevesr1

I never drink enough or eat enough food when I fish. I think it goes back to fishing with my dad. We would fish all day on the Texas and Louisiana Gulf Coast, with 1 egg sandwich each for lunch and maybe a couple of cokes each on the boat. Our wades would be HOURS long at times, and I never once remember having any water with me. Not saying that is smart, just saying it is so. When I do eat, I do it as fast as I can so I can get fishing again faster. I'm not really one for sitting around and enjoying my surroundings, relishing a good meal on the water. For me personally, I'd rather be actively fishing. Things that many people find as enhancements to the fishing experience I find to be unwanted or unnecessary distractions (and not saying that is the best way to be, it's just how I am). Most of you are now asking "so what?" and rightly so. Well, it serves as background for the following story.

I just spent three excellent days fishing with Bigbowtrout and uberfly in BC. I'm sure I'll crank out a full report at some time as the trip has lots of stories, but one will stick with me for a long time.

Our first day we were on a river system I had fished before, but further upstream than I had ever been. The river was plenty full of big, healthy, and very, very picky cutts. I don't know how many fly changes, but the number was high, But it seemed for the vast majority of the afternoon each of us were working individual fish. Just a blast of a day. At a short lull, I wolfed down a sandwich as fast as humanly possible. I realized at the time it tasted funny, but I truly didn't care. Some time later, either Uber or BBT asked if my sandwich tasted funny, and not wanting to get into any type of conversation about a sandwich while a big cutt was refusing every thing I could think of to toss at him, I said "no, it was fine."

At about 6 PM we are back at the van, and the subject of sandwiches comes up again. BBT says, "smell this bag, it smells like perfume. Or dryer sheets!" I may have actually been eating my second sandwich at that time, but since I was starving, again, I didn't really care all that much. I'm wasn't sure how perfume or dryer sheets would cause me any internal distress, so I just suffered through the extra flavoring. Better full with a bad taste in my mouth than starving since the closest food was 2 hrs away.

So we get back to the condo, after stopping for new sandwich bags (we had only found 4 in the pantry originally). Uber mentions something about burning the original bags. One of the two of them looks in the pantry and discovers that a pile of dryer sheets are on the shelf, and the ziplock bag box had been sitting on them. So apparently, if you sit your ziplock box on dryer sheets, the dryer sheet chemicals will seep through the box, and then into all the bags (or at least 4 of them), and makes you sandwich taste funny. So don't ever do that. Unless, like me, a. You don't really care all that much, and b. A good story is worth a bad taste in your mouth. Not like anyone got sick or anything!

Hello RickR,

Wow what a funny story from a funny guy who was really out to kill us both. First it was the drive up to his secret rivers that I thought for sure was going to cut my life short, then it was the drier sheets. And since those two seemed to have failed he tried to blow us up by leaving the propane on the BBQ (Even with the curtains closed I could still see the LARGE fire ball)

I'm going to hold off on any further comments until my Lawyer returns my calls and until Sundancefisher posts the links to the long term effects of drier sheets on the human body.

Later

I told my wife when I got home:

"You know how every time we drive on gravel you tell me to slow down? You should have heard the big babies I was fishing with....."

And I only tried to blow myself up with the BBQ. Since the cover was open, it was never going to be anything other than a one time fireball, so I was the only one in danger. Fortunately my face was below the level of the BBQ trying to find the little hole to stick the lighter in and I only lost some hair on one arm.

Leave me outta this one Rick! You never heard a "peep" outta me (only when you hit that big boulder and that's b/c it scared the $hit outta me!)!! Chris was the one cowering in the backseat!! LoL

P

You should have heard the big babies I was fishing with....."

Leave me outta this one Rick! You never heard a "peep" outta me (only when you hit that big boulder and that's b/c it scared the $hit outta me!)!! Chris was the one cowering in the backseat!! LoL

P

Fair enough. That rock scared the crap outta me too! Let's refrain from calling it a boulder. Maybe a boulder lite?

When you're driving two feet from a 500' + drop doing 90km on the gravel road I might be fine if it was anyone else. But being with a crazy Texan who on the main highway had a hard time staying on the right side of the yellow line I had a lot of doubts. <--poke--< (I still managed to grab a few Z's on the rides out)

Peter "You never heard a "peep" outta me" I'm thinking it's cuz you where fearful for your life.

Rick that was one AWESOME fire ball :laugh:

It was a great trip with tonnes of laughs and I'll get some pics up soon. Next year if this trip is up for grabs again, everyone should bid for it. We got it for a steal and Rick is a great host.

I did find it curious as to why I (who was in the front passanger seat) was always looking down the middle of our lane!! LoL :P

But being with a crazy Texan who on the main highway had a hard time staying on the right side of the yellow line I had a lot of doubts. Peter "You never heard a "peep" outta me" I'm thinking it's cuz you where fearful for your life.

I ain't admitting to noth'in! LoL ;)

P

When you're driving two feet from a 500' + drop doing 90km on the gravel road I might be fine if it was anyone else. But being with a crazy Texan who on the main highway had a hard time staying on the right side of the yellow line I had a lot of doubts. <--poke--< (I still managed to grab a few Z's on the rides out)

Peter "You never heard a "peep" outta me" I'm thinking it's cuz you where fearful for your life.

Rick that was one AWESOME fire ball :laugh:

It was a great trip with tonnes of laughs and I'll get some pics up soon. Next year if this trip is up for grabs again, everyone should bid for it. We got it for a steal and Rick is a great host.

I only go over the yellow line when it is necessary. Like when taking a corner way, way too fast and needing the inside of the lane to corner properly, like they teach in racing school. As long as there are no bicyclists on the shoulder, all is good. I mean, there is tons of room over there. Shame to waste it.

And I will say when you have 60 km of gravel to drive, 90 km vs 60 km/hr gets you there 20 minutes faster. Worth the risk for prime cutty water I say.

But in hindsight, maybe I will slow down for the cliff sections when hauling passengers.