Fly Fusion Forums

Line Recommendation Needed

So I have gotten back into the hobby pretty hard after some time off.

My current rod is a TFO Signature 9' 6wt. The line that I have on it is just a generic line that I bought to get me going, but I am not really enjoying how it casts. Most of my fishing is on the Bow, primarily from shore, but with the occasional float.

I am just getting the hang of casting graphite as I have only cast glass rods in the past. The problem that I am finding is that I am accustomed to my old glass rod (RIP) loading the line easier than my current one. My cast is rather slow so I am wondering if my casting may need some work too. Would there be any advantage to going with a 7wt line?

I primarily nymph, but also throw drys hoppers & streamers for some variety.

So, I am looking to change up my line and see how that goes before I go looking for another rod. I have considered going back to glass rods too as I prefer the touch of them.

Anyone have a reccomendations for me as to a line that may work better for me?

Thanks,

Andrew

I no what you mean.I think.I have never casted a glass rod but i would assume its more like some of the mid to soft rods that i have.They load quickly and feel very nice.

I have casted a 6wt line on my 5wt Z just to see how it feels.I found it to load quickly but it just didn't feel the same as casting a softer rod.

Tungsten,starting to understand this feel thing.

I have to agree with Tungsten,

If it's a "med action" rod (read - softer) as I presume the TFO Signiture Series is, then DO NOT over line it (for the most part) and stay with a Rio Gold (standard type line) SA Trout, etc. MY personal pref. is to over line ("slightly" with a GPX/Grand) for fast action rods (but again, that's MY pref. - your csting style may dictate otherwise)... If you can go to a shop like Fishtales or Country Pleasures (maybe a few other spondsor shops or others) that have reels already lined up, and try them on your rod with your casting style!

P

I no what you mean.I think.I have never casted a glass rod but i would assume its more like some of the mid to soft rods that i have.They load quickly and feel very nice.

I have casted a 6wt line on my 5wt Z just to see how it feels.I found it to load quickly but it just didn't feel the same as casting a softer rod.

Tungsten,starting to understand this feel thing.

Medium to meium fast action rods like the Signature require a slower stroke than the very powerful fast action rods. I have a signature 5 wt and casting it is very different from casting my Crosscurrent GLX saltwater rods. A good basic line that works fine on the Signature is the Cortland 444SL. It's less expensive than many lines, casts well and is durable. It will not reach as far as many other lines, but for most applications, distance is less important than control and the 444 will cetrtainly let you do that.

Much of what you guys have been saying confirms what I was thinking. When testing out rods the Signature series felt more like what I was used to in the past.

I am on the fence with the Rio Gold & the 444. I might just go for the 444 for the nostalgia factor. Nothing like that peach line.

Pretty sure my next rod will be glass though.

Thanks for the input guys.

Andrew

As a guy who fished with the TFO-SS 9' 6wt as my main rod for few years, and after trying a half-dozen lines on it, I highly recommend the Rio Grande. I think it'll do exactly what you want for that rod. It did for me, and it sounds like your goals are the same as mine were.

If you do and want to try it, I have my 6wt reel loaded up with it and you are welcome to borrow it and give it a chuck!!

P

As a guy who fished with the TFO-SS 9' 6wt as my main rod for few years, and after trying a half-dozen lines on it, I highly recommend the Rio Grande. I think it'll do exactly what you want for that rod. It did for me, and it sounds like your goals are the same as mine were.

Thanks for all the advise guys. I ended up popping over to TFH as it is right by my office & they are having thier annual sale. They were out of the Rio lines in #6 so I opted for the 444 which ended up being ~$35 after 25% off.

I also broke down & bought a new Amundson TXS reel to put it on which may solve my other dislike which is my budget reel being too heavy & not feeling balanced in my hand.

With backing & GST the whole set up was under $110.

Andrew