Fly Fusion Forums

Sockeyes Return!

Heading to fish the Adams River and Scotch Creek again for Labor Day w/e. It's supposed to be epic this year (previous years were still pretty cool, even though the main run isn't until Oct most years)... Of course we won't be targeting Sockeyes and I'm not experienced enough to know if we will hook any while fishing for those Kootnay Rainbows (hope not)?!

P

The problem with these estimates is the counting devices arent accurate enough, they count anything floating by not just fish and not just the target species. Every year we hear of incredible #s coming up and at the end of the season DFO just states that the predictions were incorrect with no real solution in sight.

Hopefully this season they are correct and historical data isn't an indicator of things to come

Heading to fish the Adams River and Scotch Creek again for Labor Day w/e. It's supposed to be epic this year (previous years were still pretty cool, even though the main run isn't until Oct most years)... Of course we won't be targeting Sockeyes and I'm not experienced enough to know if we will hook any while fishing for those Kootnay Rainbows (hope not)?!

P

Sockeye are pretty lockjawed when it comes to taking a fly, so you probably don't have to worry.

Marc,

That's what I figured, but if the hoards are going to be swimming through like predicted I'm not sure what the chances are that we'd foul them... Hopefully the dry fly action will be on so we won't have to worry!!

P

Sockeye are pretty lockjawed when it comes to taking a fly, so you probably don't have to worry.

Marc,

That's what I figured, but if the hoards are going to be swimming through like predicted I'm not sure what the chances are that we'd foul them... Hopefully the dry fly action will be on so we won't have to worry!!

P

Just keep your eyes out for the people that are trying to foul them though and call this number 1-877-952-7277. Have a nice trip.

They can be, but it definately is not unheard of to have sockeye grab a fly, usually higher up in a watershed, such as the situation you will likely encounter at the adams (although I have never fished it). I have hooked a few while swinging for steelies, they fight very well for their size, but again, they have only ever been bycatch for me. Unfortunately there are a lot of people around who floss 'em during the meat season.

"A lot of people who floss" is an understatement. When they open sockeye to recreational fishers, the popular bars along the Fraser River are literally shoulder to shoulder with everyone synchronizing their flossing rigs (and this is mid-week). Weekends are even worse!

And I'd have to agree with the lock-jaw comment. If you by-catch a sockeye, you likely flossed him (even accidentally).

The variance is legit. Pacific Salmon generally have a 4 year cycle (Pinks being the exception), so they'll return to their streams to spawn every 4 years. So last year's numbers have nothing to do with this year's numbers. The key to keeping track is to pay attention to the numbers every 4 years and see if the closures they implemented 4 years ago has had a positive effect on this year's generation of Salmon.