Fly Fusion Forums

Lost Guide Lake Info

I'm most likely going to be doing the hike into Lost Guide Lake from the Hummingbird Equestrian Area sometime in September and was wondering if anyone else has done it? What can I expect for fishing, and what should I bring for flies? Also, I've done the hike to Ranger Creek so I kind of know what to expect as far as the trails in the area are concerned, but I was wondering what the deal was with the trail to the lake. Is it clearly marked? Is there a sign? If not, how will I know it when I see it?

Any help with the hike, or fishing the lake, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Cory

I'm most likely going to be doing the hike into Lost Guide Lake from the Hummingbird Equestrian Area sometime in September and was wondering if anyone else has done it?

I have gone to LG lake on horseback. It was a lot of fun, but it was about 12 years ago. Absolutely beautiful; waterfall gushing straight down into the lake.

What can I expect for fishing, and what should I bring for flies?

Fairly decent cutthroat fishing. Bring your standard boxes: if I remember correctly, I caught them on Doc Spratley's, Bow River Buggers, Tom Thumbs, and Elk Hair Caddis. Wasn't into chironomid fishing back then, I am sure they'll work too. How about parachute Adams and terrestrials like ants and hoppers, plus regular assortment of bead head nymphs will cover you.

Also, I've done the hike to Ranger Creek so I kind of know what to expect as far as the trails in the area are concerned, but I was wondering what the deal was with the trail to the lake. Is it clearly marked? Is there a sign? If not, how will I know it when I see it?

Ack! I wish my memory wasn't so foggy! But, no, I'd say the trail is not clearly marked in terms of signage, but you do have the advantage of knowing that the trail is significant enough to show wear from horse traveling. Let me contact my horse guy and see if I can get better directions for you. I do remember at times following a tiny creek. Sorry I couldn't be more help here; hopefully my horse guy can assist. You could also ask the first horse camp people right at Hummingbird; their names are Del and Judy. Tell them you know Orson Gadowsky and wanted to find the trail to LG Lake, especially trying to find the turnoff from the Ranger creek valley.

Remind me if I forget to ask my horse guy; its not inconvenient to ask, I play hockey with him all winter.

Smitty

Thanks for the info Smitty. Good to know I'm not going to really need anything super specific to get into some fish. If you don't post that you talked to your horse guy I'll remind you in a week or so. It's really just the turnoff to the lake that I'm worried about. I've found the trail head to Ranger Creek before.

Talked to my dad yesterday and he said there was a sign that pointed to the turn-off.

So I phoned my horse guy and he said the following: 1) there is a sign, but it mostly warns users that motor vehicles aren't allowed and doesn't specifically say "this way to Lost Guide Lake" per se, and 2) just stay on the south side of Ranger creek, and when you think you are in the general area - I told him it sounded like you were pretty good at reading maps and navigation - once in the general area, just watch for trails heading off to the left (south) and you should be fine.

Smitty

Talked to my dad yesterday and he said there was a sign that pointed to the turn-off.

So I phoned my horse guy and he said the following: 1) there is a sign, but it mostly warns users that motor vehicles aren't allowed and doesn't specifically say "this way to Lost Guide Lake" per se, and 2) just stay on the south side of Ranger creek, and when you think you are in the general area - I told him it sounded like you were pretty good at reading maps and navigation - once in the general area, just watch for trails heading off to the left (south) and you should be fine.

Smitty

Thanks Smitty. Bigtoad said it's the only trail heading directly South and that it is just after a boggy section. So that, combined with the sign, should help me out a lot.

Thanks Smitty. Bigtoad said it's the only trail heading directly South and that it is just after a boggy section. So that, combined with the sign, should help me out a lot.

I don't remember any sign of any kind at the turnoff and I was looking. The turnoff is miss-able and you should crowd the South side of the valley so you don't miss it once the Ranger Valley begins to swing to the West.

Here's a Google Earth image of Lost Guide Lake and the turnoff. The little blue square is the Lake. The coordinates at the bottom of the pic are the coordinates where you need to turn off of Ranger Creek. I had my mouse over the spot when I took the screenshot, my mouse didn't show up on the shot though.

post-2231-1282658164.jpg

Put those coordinates into a GPS and you're golden. (Of course, they might just be coordinates to the nearest Starbucks.... hard to say really). <--poke--<

Cheers.