Fly Fusion Forums

Opinions On The Sage Tcr (590 - 4)

ÜberFly

I guy I know is selling this rod at a good price (he is a former guide and is cleaning out his closet) and I was considering trying it out (I currenly use a Redington 5 wt CPX to which I would give to Deb)... From what I've read this stick is SUPER stiff (they use the term "Ultra Fast"). I normally throw a 5 wt GPX with my Redington CPX and it loads well and works for me... I'm at a stage that I would like to consider buying higher quality stuff (and can't really afford anything that is $400 + so please don't suggest any)...

Any opinions or advice on this rod?!

Thanks,

Peter

P.S And no I'm not going for just the "name", as I mentioned I'm looking for higher quality gear within a budget and pre-owned is the only option at this stage...

I've only cast the TCX which is the replacement for this rod, and supposedly a more "fishable" rod than the older TCR. If you're looking for an all purpose rod, I'd look somewhere else. The TCX, and what I imagine the TCR would be are not that great for short line situations, but really excel when you need to bomb'm out there. It's a do one thing and do it well kind of rod in my opinion... a great rod when used for it's intended purpose.

I've fished it and the thing is an effin' cannon, like lay out a big heavy woolly bugger, the whole line and 20-30' backing type of rod. It's very unforgiving if your castin' is not up to snuff.

Don't worry about the warranty on a used Sage though. I did something stupid and broke the tip on a RPL+ that I bought used. I phoned the repair department @ Sage to see if I could beg borrow or steal a new tip blank and they told me not to worry about it, just send in the rod and $50, they'd repair it.

Jeez that didn't take long :crybaby::crybaby:

Jeez Brunsie gimme some frickin' credit would ya, it wasn't the rod I bought offa you, was a 4 piece 4, split it in half, threw it in the back seat of my truck and moved over 30 km of loggin' road...dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.......... Thank gawd Sage stands by their product even rods long out of production

Not sure what you are looking to spend or how good a deal you were getting on the TCR but I have a 5wt 9' 4pc XP that is in good condition. Light soiling on the cork that could probably be cleaned up. I would let it go for $350. It is a really nice casting rod and I am sure others on here that have used the XP would tell you the same. It is an option for you any way.

Thanks guys! Yes, I've heard REALLY good things about the XP and have PM'd Lorney!

Cheers,

P

Unlike what I said about the TCX/TCR, the XP is a very 'fishable' rod. Sage brought it back for a limited production run after it was discontinued to fulfill some of the demand for this great rod.

I have a XP 690 and it is, bar none, my favorite single hand rod. Bomb a bugger a mile, lay down a midge. Sage's warranty can't be beat either...My guides all loosened up on mine, cork was worn bad, chunks missing, etc, scratches, just a few years of many miles, sent er into sage, in May I got a brand spankin new XP 690 in the mail...