Fly Fusion Forums

Thompson River Bait Ban Petition

Here is the link to sign the petition to ban bait on the Thompson River, please consider signing and forward to anyone you think may also be interested

thanks

Brian Niska

http://www.petitiononline.com/baitban1/petition.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

To the Honourable Barry Penner, British Columbia Minister of Environment.

We, the undersigned, hereby request that a “bait ban” sport fishing regulation be implemented for Interior Fraser River steelhead prior to the next sport fishing opening. (Interior Fraser steelhead rivers include the Thompson, Chilcotin, Seton, Bridge, Nahatlach and all other rivers in the Interior of BC where steelhead are known to inhabit.)

The principals of a bait ban as outlined in the BC government document “Bait Ban as a Management Tool” (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/reg...1/bait_ban.pdf) demonstrate that such a regulation would be desirable among the angling public.

These steelhead

- are highly accessible;

- are vulnerable to capture; and

- every spawner counts.

Further,

- there is a need to protect juvenile fish;

- the steelhead population is small; and

- there is a need to spread the catchable supply of steelhead over more anglers.

According to the current BC Freshwater Fishing Regulations the definition of bait is: ‘“Bait” is any foodstuff or natural substance used to attract fish, other than wood, cotton, wool, hair, fur or feathers. It does not include fin fish, other than roe. It includes roe, worms and other edible substances, as well as scents and flavourings containing natural substances or nutrients.”

this is a must sign ladie and gents!!! i have yet too fish the mighty T but wish too soon and for a very long time aswell! wild steelhead are sacrid fish n some ways and need too be protected!!!!!!! only takes a minute too punch in your info!!!!!!!!!!!

No one? Thompson fish need your help, bait is shown to affect mortality. Steelhead numbers have been in decline for some years now in the Thompson, last thing they need is an increased mortality brought on by bait. No, a bait ban isn't the solution to rebound the celebrated and legendary run of large, strong fish running the Thompson every fall, but we must limit mortality in any way we can. I don't believe banning fishing entirely is the answer as this leads to problems icluding increased poaching due to less eyes on the river, responsible anglers are also ardent conservationists, the town of Spences Bridge's economy relies on steelhead season anglers, the list goes on. I believe changes in water quality and quantitiy (in important tributaries) have lead to major changes for the fish community. The least we can do is ban bait. Gear fishers can still hit the river, just perhaps on a more level playing field. This would bring the fishery in line with other classified steelhead rivers throughout BC. Whether or not you fish steelhead, or fish the Thompson, a bait ban is the right thing to do to help protect an amazing race of steelhead and only takes a minute to sign on. It is the least we can do.

well put Riley!

thank you to everyone that has taken the time to sign Greg's petition over the past 3 days. For those that haven't signed yet please consider doing it today. As Maxwell pointed out, it only takes 30 seconds to complete this process. If you agree with the cause please also consider forwarding this link to your email contacts,twitter followers , blog readers or facebook peeps. Our goal is 2000 sigs and we hope to have this by the end of the second week in September. So yes this is a bit of a challenge, please help spread this around.

thanks again Steelhead freaks

Brian Niska

well put Riley!

thank you to everyone that has taken the time to sign Greg's petition over the past 3 days. For those that haven't signed yet please consider doing it today. As Maxwell pointed out, it only takes 30 seconds to complete this process. If you agree with the cause please also consider forwarding this link to your email contacts,twitter followers , blog readers or facebook peeps. Our goal is 2000 sigs and we hope to have this by the end of the second week in September. So yes this is a bit of a challenge, please help spread this around.

thanks again Steelhead freaks

Brian Niska

Only 288 sigs as of this morning, need to get this rolling.

Colin

currently at 547, we gotta do better, 2000 is the goal and should be attainable. Wild steelhead are unique to each system they evolve in, if Thompson fish disappear there is no amount of stocking that can bring them back. There are many peer reviewed papers around that you can find via a simple google search that show that catch and release mortality is higher in fish caught with bait due to the tendancy to take the hook deeper. Steelhead are also commonly recaptured multiple times in a short time span when offered baited lures. This increases catch and release mortality. Help the Thomspon, sign the petition.

9600 views of "what is your largest bow river trout", 1500 views of "should we stock tiger trout in Alberta", only 292 people have checked out Thompson River Bait Ban. Too bad, we need to get more signatures here to protect a unique stock of WILD STEELHEAD. The Bow is bait free, the Thompson should be as well.

I know one way to get more views is to spark a "discussion".. I can appreciate the efforts to come up with the petition to ban bait on the "T" and I agree it is a step in the right direction..Lets not put perfume on a pig here and think that if this petition goes through the "T" stocks are in the clear... this is not the final solution to a "WAY" bigger problem than bait. Control what we can control and a bait ban is one measure of control to avoid repeat hook ups.The next step is the de-watering issues/fish farms/poor ocean survival ect....ect.

I know one way to get more views is to spark a "discussion".. I can appreciate the efforts to come up with the petition to ban bait on the "T" and I agree it is a step in the right direction..Lets not put perfume on a pig here and think that if this petition goes through the "T" stocks are in the clear... this is not the final solution to a "WAY" bigger problem than bait. Control what we can control and a bait ban is one measure of control to avoid repeat hook ups.The next step is the de-watering issues/fish farms/poor ocean survival ect....ect.

[/quot

I completely agree with you, bait ban is only a small step in the right direction, but, nonethless it is the right direction in terms of reducing hooking mortality. The increased capture success when drifting bait can be dramatic, and when there is an increase in deep hooking paired with repeat hookups the catch mortality can increase significantly. There is a vocal group in BC hanging on with everything for their perceived right to drift roe, I just can't justify it and have read all the arguements, I honestly don't think they have a rock to stand on...this bait ban needs to happen! Then perhaps we should start looking at some of the major causes of decline..

rest assured I have a plan that should help address these issues-kind of a 10 step plan to be exact-this is step 3..........

I don't believe banning fishing entirely is the answer as this leads to problems icluding increased poaching due to less eyes on the river,

Oh you can bet that the locals would be watching the river like a hawk.I now i would.

I no the Bow is not the Thompson but you couldn't use bait down stream of 22X in the mid 80's or maybe earlier.They new what bait does back then.Why has it taken so long for the T?Its all about money not saving the fish.Too bad really.

Oh you can bet that the locals would be watching the river like a hawk.I now i would.

I no the Bow is not the Thompson but you couldn't use bait down stream of 22X in the mid 80's or maybe earlier.They new what bait does back then.Why has it taken so long for the T?Its all about money not saving the fish.Too bad really.

I'm sure they have that intention, but the T is a biggg river and word from locals around spences bridge was that a couple years ago when the river was closed to angling there was illegal angling and retention happening. Not for me to say whether it was heresay or not, but that was a word that I heard.