Fly Fusion Forums

Im New Where Should I Go?

jasonvilly

Hello fellow fisherman (hahahaha I dont know if I can yet call myself that as i have only caught one small brookie)

Anyway. I just took a course a month ago with country pleasures and have absolutely fallen in love with the sport. So far I have gone to the Elbow River by the 22x (no luck whatsoever) and to the jumping pound by cochrane (my 1 brookie)

Any advice on rivers I should try that are good learning places. I think I will head to the Livingstone on Thursday to try my luck but other than that I am not sure where to go.

Also are there any groups that get together or ways I can hook up with knowledgeable people to help me learn the ropes? Before this I have never fished before so I am an extreme newbie. I am a very good learner though and learn quickly. I also like to reward those who help with beer. So any info or tips would be helpful.

J

I personally love the Sheep river. It's pretty close, nice scenery considering how near it is to Calgary, great holes and seams everywhere. A easy place to start is right at the west edge of Okotoks. I'm headed to a new spot upstream (unless theres thunder and lightning again :angry:) tomorrow after work. If you don't head out to the Livingstone, PM me. Can't guarantee any fish as I'll be exploring new waters but it's pretty nice scenery nonetheless.

Lots of good spots in around Calgary, you can go hit up the old man river too if you are in the Livingstone area. I cut 7 cutthroats out of there on the August long weekend.

I also recommend the bow, head straight down Bow Bottom Trail into Fishcreek park, there is a boat launch there and you can head south down the river and lots of nice little pockets to fish there. One right after the bridge which usually yields a fish or two.

A nice place to start that is close if you live in Cowtown.

Thank you for all the help.

Sheep River and Cataract are two places that I have circled in my backroad mapbook.

Love the Bow River spot advice as well.

So far I find the hardest thing is to know where on a river to go. The Bow is huge and daunting when I was trying to pick a spot to go to.

As for the Livingstone I went on Thursday. Beautiful country. Caught a small Brown I think (it was really gold colored) and a large Cutt got away when it tore my fly off (poor knot on my part I believe) .

Anyhow thank you again for the advice.

• 2 weeks later...