Fly Fusion Forums

The Greatest Fishing Vehicle Ever

Is not a 2007 Chrysler Grand Caravan.

I was scouting some water along side a pretty smooth BC FSR when I came to a fork in the road. The fork was not on my map, nor on my gps. So I took the one that looked wider/smoother. Which it was for about 100 yds. As I crested a small hill at about 30 kph, I was faced with what can only be described as a small gully across the road, about 1 ft deep and a coupe ft wide with very sharp sides. With no chance of stopping I stabbed the brakes and hit it at about 20 KPH. The next two (as there were 3 in quick succession on the downhill I was on) I hit quite a bit slower. I stopped, still on a steep downhill and saw a place to turn around. Fortunately, only one tire was flat. As the road was still far too steep to change a tire on, I decided I had to go up the hill, and through the gully's on the flat. It was easier than I expected, though there was some pretty intense scraping sounds coming from beneath the vehicle that I decided that my best action was to ignore.

I get to the top of the hill and pull over and get out. I look under the vehicle for the spare and remembered that I was in my wife's van with the stow and go. Where the )(&*) is the spare? So I pull out the manual, find the page, and it says "Spare Location, if Installed". I have to say "if installed" caused the first pang of real concern course through my veins. Fortunately, the spare was installed (mid vehicle!) and I proceeded to change to the temp spare. A couple stopped to talk to me during the changing of the tire (the only people I saw the whole day) and we talked about my bad luck (they said I was not the first to change a tire there!) and where I could find the damn creek I was looking for without driving an additional 10 KM or so on the temp spare! So I back-tracked a bit to a small, but again smooth, side road. I drive down and am faced with a small drop and a crossing of a tiny little side channel. With regular tires I would have gone across without thinking, but after consulting the GPS and seeing the main creek about 200 yds away, I decide the safe thing to do is pull off a bit giving anyone room to pass and just walk. So I pull off, and need to back up a bit to give clearance on the road. I back up and the back of my van takes a sudden trip down. And plants there. I get out and go back and look and my drivers side rear tire is in a 2 ft deep hole. Perfect. Real concern again.

Now what? I decide to walk up to the main road and put a HELP sign up. I go back to the car, decide to jack up the back and fill the hole with wood and rocks. This plan succeeds and I get the van back on 4 wheels. Whew. I walk back up the hill, and retrieve the HELP sign. I string up, and walk to the creek.

I'm faced with this perfect little body of water, tons of deadfall, and it SCREAMS cutthroat! I forget all about my troubles (but start to think about bears) Unfortunately, nobody told the cutties how perfect the stream was. 2 hrs later I get back to the car with 0 fish, lots of scratches on my legs and about 10 nice horsefly bites.

Man I love exploring! I will be back, stream is too pretty to ignore.

Oh, and 4 new tires got put on the van today. It needed 'em anyway! Wife has decided (again) that I am beyond redemption

Rick,

Can I go with you next time you go fishing? Surely you've used all the bad luck a guy can muster in a couple months now, and any further trips will be complete succes stories!! :)

Plus... I need some good laughs anyways :)

Don't do it, he'll just make you push!

Great story, Rick. It reminded me of some memorable times in my misspent youth. I couple of times I had to laugh out loud. Glad you got out OK. Horsefly bites are no picnic but it could have been way worse. Thanks for sharing.

Last Sunday myself and 2 other friends including fishpro went and fished racehorse creek and the livingston, as we pulled into a spot to find a way down we got out of my truck and scouted and decided to move up a bit, as we got in the truck I started the truck and put it into drive, the gear shift indicator went loose, the truck was stuck in drive, couldent shift any thing, good thing we had access to go forward, luckily my partner mentioned not to shut off the truck as it wont start in drive, we made it home but we did stop on another stretch to fish a pool, we put the e brake cable on and put a rock under the wheel, we only stayed for about an hour then went home.

Last Sunday myself and 2 other friends including fishpro went and fished racehorse creek and the livingston, as we pulled into a spot to find a way down we got out of my truck and scouted and decided to move up a bit, as we got in the truck I started the truck and put it into drive, the gear shift indicator went loose, the truck was stuck in drive, couldent shift any thing, good thing we had access to go forward, luckily my partner mentioned not to shut off the truck as it wont start in drive, we made it home but we did stop on another stretch to fish a pool, we put the e brake cable on and put a rock under the wheel, we only stayed for about an hour then went home.

I don't care where you're from, that's dedication right there!

This made me laugh a lot! It reminds me of some fancy driving at the Wigwam. I get out to spot and ricks behind the wheel next thing i know Ricks got it pinned full boar up this hill and i jumping out of the way.....but hey he made it....This isnt ricks first rodeo.

This made me laugh a lot! It reminds me of some fancy driving at the Wigwam. I get out to spot and ricks behind the wheel next thing i know Ricks got it pinned full boar up this hill and i jumping out of the way.....but hey he made it....This isnt ricks first rodeo.

I actually bought my truck because of that day. That was effin scary. To bad I sold it. I need another truck.