Fly Fusion Forums

Damn Kid

My 7 year old loves to fish. We have family that live on Crystal Lake in Okotoks. I'm teaching him how to cast with the fly rod and he's doing pretty good for a 7 yr old. I caught a few in the 16 / 18 inch range and he didn't catch any. He said 'Dad, can I get my old rod out of the car and fish with a bobber?' I reluctantly obliged (I think you know where this is going), set him up with the bobber and powerbait. Wham, 24 incher and bragging rights for the rest of the weekend.

Little bugger :)

A 24 incher!!!???!! Where is this HOT SPOT you speak of??? What are the GPS locations? Are there any bears? :bow::smootch:

Very cute story, brings back many memories of days fishing with my son (long time ago). Many campouts on the islands on the Bow, lots of Sega games in the dark, great days! A little word of advice if I may: take each day with your children as a gift, and remember the old saying (shoot, now I am getting old), anyways...."they grow up so fast", and it is SO true. :cheers:

My dad was out with my little brother years and years ago, my brother was 5 or 6. They were catching really nice reds, 2-5 lb class fish and my little brother had caught a few. He hooks another fish "I got one Daddy!", but a few seconds later is saying "I can't hold him!!" Dad tells him how he's already caught a several and he can handle it. He never even turns around (they are in a boat, one fishing from the bow, one from the stern). Then my brother tells him again he can't handle it and dad turns around and sees my brother laying in the bottom of the boat wrapped around the rod trying to hold on. Dad picks up the rod, feels the fish and says "sorry, son." 15 minutes or so later he lands the 30-40 lb black drum!

My dad was out with my little brother years and years ago, my brother was 5 or 6. They were catching really nice reds, 2-5 lb class fish and my little brother had caught a few. He hooks another fish "I got one Daddy!", but a few seconds later is saying "I can't hold him!!" Dad tells him how he's already caught a several and he can handle it. He never even turns around (they are in a boat, one fishing from the bow, one from the stern). Then my brother tells him again he can't handle it and dad turns around and sees my brother laying in the bottom of the boat wrapped around the rod trying to hold on. Dad picks up the rod, feels the fish and says "sorry, son." 15 minutes or so later he lands the 30-40 lb black drum!

Now THAT'S dedication. Well done Rick's brother!

Thanks for sharing Boris! I'm sure that'll be me in no time.

Now THAT'S dedication. Well done Rick's brother!

Thanks for sharing Boris! I'm sure that'll be me in no time.

Just to clarify, Birchy...

When you say "that'll be me", do you mean that you'll be fishing with a bobber & powerbait??? :angel:smail:

Congratz to your litle one, Boris; & to you for getting the little guy out there!