Fly Fusion Forums

Bow Fly Patters

Guest jonnyfive

Guest jonnyfive

Hello!

I am a newb to the bow river. I have fished it 4 times and have consistently been skunked :(

It would be helpful if someone could point me in the direction of a post where it is outlined the best flies to use on the bow for each time of the year. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Does anyone have an essential Bow River fly patter list?

Here are a few that consistently produce for me (some seasonal variability):

Nymphs (most times under BH Wire SJW)

BH/non BH PT nymph

BH/non BH Prince nymph

BH/non BH GRHE

BH/non BH copper johns (assorted colours)

Caddis emergers (pupa & soft hackle)

All nymphs in the 12 - 18 sz

Golden Stones (many different varieties & sizes)

Streamers

Bowriver bugger (black, white, olive)

Black flashabugger (size 6 - 8)

Clouser minnows (black/white, brown/white, chartreuse/white)

Dries

Skid bitch

EH Cddis Dry (or CDC caddis)

PMD

BWO

hoppers

I use a 3 fly rig, SJW and any two of the above nymphs (alternate)

I'm sure a other guys have their faves too...

P

Guest jonnyfive
Here are a few that consistently produce for me (some seasonal variability):

Nymphs (most times under BH Wire SJW)

BH/non BH PT nymph

BH/non BH Prince nymph

BH/non BH GRHE

BH/non BH copper johns (assorted colours)

Caddis emergers (pupa & soft hackle)

All nymphs in the 12 - 18 sz

Golden Stones (many different varieties & sizes)

Streamers

Bowriver bugger (black, white, olive)

Black flashabugger (size 6 - 8)

Clouser minnows (black/white, brown/white, chartreuse/white)

Dries

Skid bitch

EH Cddis Dry (or CDC caddis)

PMD

BWO

hoppers

I use a 3 fly rig, SJW and any two of the above nymphs (alternate)

I'm sure a other guys have their faves too...

P

Thank you very much. I appreciate any advice and expertise you can provide!

Guest jonnyfive

As well, my other difficulty is knowing under what circumstances to use specific flies.

I know that this depends a lot on what they are feeding on currently and half the battle can be determining that... but are there ways to tell when it's appropriate to use a certain fly?

On the intro page to the FFC site, Rick Reeves (rickr) has put together a great article called the "nymphing primer". it contains some great info.

http://flyfishcalgary.com/nymphing_primer.php

As important, if not more importantly is the "natural" drift of the fly and mending to acheive it! You can choose the right fly, but if it isn't drifting naturally the fish will not take it!

You can also look at the many reports on here and on sponsoring shops web pages and take a look at their various hatch charts... Basically you can get to know which bugs are going to be hatching (and then hatching) for the various seasons - which are "relatively" consistent each year. Use the nymph version at anytime before & during the hatching of the specific adult insect (some variations obviously)...

I'd be happy to head out with you one day to show you what I know (or don't know :P) when the water levels settle down, if you want... As well, you can hire one of the many guides that sponsor this site for a 1/2 day walk and wade (and I'm sure you will learn A TON from them - more then from me, I'd say)...

P

As well, my other difficulty is knowing under what circumstances to use specific flies.

I know that this depends a lot on what they are feeding on currently and half the battle can be determining that... but are there ways to tell when it's appropriate to use a certain fly?

do a google search for "bow river hatch chart" and I am sure something will come up whereas you will have a decent knowledge of what to expect for certain times of year. For me, it's almost all about nymphing... wire wrap #4 san juan plus one or two other seasonal nymph patterns right now the second nymph is a bit of a trick... if your fishing rocky chop fast water stonefly works good, but also be fishing caddis pupae or even big hares ear etc... if your fishing more slackish deeper water I'd even nymph a leech pattern and swing it at the end of a drift... so many combinations... just find one that works for u

my basic bowriver setup:

Nymphs:

BH GRHE

BH Copper Johns- various colors

BH flashback Pheasant Tail

BH Prince's

BH stoneflies

Caddis patterns

Wire worms

SJ worms

Dries:

Elk Hair Caddis

BWO's

Stimmies (smaller sizes)

Hoppers

Streamers:

Buggers

Clousers

Leeches

Just The Basics, don't mean that there are other patterns that work too.

Kyle

Jim McLennan has a hatch chart in his book, Fly Fishing Western Trout Streams. You can buy it in local shops or visit his website: http://www.mclennanflyfishing.com/flyfishi...routstreams.htm Very informative book.

Also, have you done a search on this site for popular flies? I know this is a common topic that comes up again and again.

Best bet if you're struggling is to hire a guide either from the board or a local shop for a few hours or a day. That way you can get some one on one time with an expert and get into some fish!

siverdoc has the perfect answer. the best way to catch fish is develop a relationship with the water you are fishing and the only way to do that is log on many hours and try everything and anything. eventually you'll find something that works for you.

in my opinion from my experience when i was new. it is not what your fishing, its how your fishing. at least it was that way for me. the fish in the bow will eat practically anything you throw at em. the key is just in how you present it. i remember when i started i was swinging those bumble bees that came with the rod package at crappy tire and once i knew how to use em i caught fish. i also remember when i had no idea what dry flyin meant and used to take any dry and add split shot to it. like silver said. just get out there and dont get discouraged. it took me a while to figure out the bow, but once i did you hook plenty.

in my opinion from my experience when i was new. it is not what your fishing, its how your fishing. at least it was that way for me. the fish in the bow will eat practically anything you throw at em. the key is just in how you present it. i remember when i started i was swinging those bumble bees that came with the rod package at crappy tire and once i knew how to use em i caught fish. i also remember when i had no idea what dry flyin meant and used to take any dry and add split shot to it. like silver said. just get out there and dont get discouraged. it took me a while to figure out the bow, but once i did you hook plenty.

Exactly.

I was showing a guy how to nymph fish the other day, fishing a very nice looking little seam. I was demonstrating how to mend line, and mended several times in one cast just to show what I was talking about ("this is an umpstreaam mend, this is a downstream mend"). All the while the indi is staying nicely just inside the seam. On about the 5th mend I felt a pull back and a couple of minutes later landed the 18" rainbow. Moral of the story is:

If you are fishing where they are, you always have a chance. Learning to read the water (fishing where they are) and learning how to present (which I certainly wasn't doing properly in the story above) is way more important than having the perfect fly on. There are so many good books out on how to read water, and how to fish different circumstances. Get one and study it. Once you have that figured out, you will learn that the exact fly you have on is less important than you think. Good Luck!

Guest Jeremie

Honestly, i have found in all rivers all over the place that presentation is key. I can put anything buggy in front of a fish presented properly and catch fish consistently. Fish in rivers dont have much time to inspect that nymph coming on the drift. They have maybe a half second to react to that fly. If its dragging they simply avoid it. If it looks natural, i think all signs point to yes in the fishes brain.

Dry flies are a little different. Dries can be the tricky match the hatch but not as hard as you think. I've found as long as you match the shape and the right shade of colour, you can produce fish. But still they have maybe a second to inspect.

Rule : Learn to mend, keep your flies drifting naturally, success will come!

Also, if you just want to catch fish, rig san juan to san jun to san juan. You might get a hit or two. ;)

HOLLY *hit , another one , you must of fish a time or two with Brian '' hawgstoppah '' then , when all else fails and he starts to twitching , look out as he brings out the so called red leach

Exactly.

I was showing a guy how to nymph fish the other day, fishing a very nice looking little seam. I was demonstrating how to mend line, and mended several times in one cast just to show what I was talking about ("this is an umpstreaam mend, this is a downstream mend"). All the while the indi is staying nicely just inside the seam. On about the 5th mend I felt a pull back and a couple of minutes later landed the 18" rainbow. Moral of the story is:

If you are fishing where they are, you always have a chance. Learning to read the water (fishing where they are) and learning how to present (which I certainly wasn't doing properly in the story above) is way more important than having the perfect fly on. There are so many good books out on how to read water, and how to fish different circumstances. Get one and study it. Once you have that figured out, you will learn that the exact fly you have on is less important than you think. Good Luck!

Awesome advice. Nymphing is all about learning to mend your line for the purpose of maintaining a drag free drift and, equally important, keeping slack out of your rig. Figure that out, learn a little about reading water and fly selection and you'll be slayin them in no time. My bottom line advice, hire someone for a half day to teach you Bow basics with a focus on nymphing. In hindsight I wish I had of when I started out. I fished many a day and read many posts on this board before I started to catch on.

Guest jonnyfive

Great advice everyone! I have been watching some youtube videos on mending line. I assumed I knew what was doing before... but I didn't. My mind has been blown a little bit.

Great advice everyone! I have been watching some youtube videos on mending line. I assumed I knew what was doing before... but I didn't. My mind has been blown a little bit.

good to hear. if you stick with it you will get the hang of it. if you ever want to head out with me just let me know. i would be happy to help out as much as possible.