Fly Fusion Forums

Repairing A Leaky Rv.

I got to my trailer on Sunday after leaving it for 2 weeks and was horrified to discover some leakage. It is an old 17' Vanguard with a metal roof. The was water leakage at both ends and throuigh the main ceiling vent.

This caused some very soggy sleeping pads on the rear bed. I dried everything out as much as I could.

Over my three days there we had scattered showers and the only noticeable leaking was at the vent. I left the trailer with a "Band Aid" solution of duct tape over the seams fore and aft and a tarp over the vent.

I will be returning Sunday ready to tackle my problem and here is where I need advice.

What materials do you recommend?

What tools will I need?

Any other tips?

Please help me fix the "Cutty Hut"!!

Al

Go to any RV parts place, and get some roof seam sealer -- not sure if that is the official title, but they'll know what you mean. Since the roof is a continuous sheet of aluminum, any leaks have to be at the vents, plumbing stack pipe, etc. where the sheet has been perforated, and where the roof sheet meets up with the outside walls. You'll want to scrape off any of the original stuff if it's loose or badly cracked. Once everything is clean and dry, just goop the new stuff on -- a cheap paint brush will do. There are several types of sealer, but the kind I've used on an older trailer (20+ years), I believe is asphalt based, and it had a pigment in it so that when it dried, it was silver.

One other place to check for leaks, is if you have an awning. The outward tension from the awning can pull the track that the awning attaches to, away from the trailer, opening a gap that the water can get behind. I had this happen once, and I assume the water got in through the screw holes that hold the track, and then into the wall of the trailer.

Anyway, you're right to get on it right away, because otherwise things can start to rot and mildew inside the walls.

Hope this helps. Terry

If his is old it will not be one sheet and likely not aluminum, however the seams Rarely leak. What you want is Kool seal, either go the feild of dreams RV or crappy tire (its the same price at other deals its quite a bit more) and use a foam brush to apply liberally, and as terry said remove the loose and badly cracked but not the stuff that is still attached that will make it worse.

I just did mine a few weeks ago actually, it's not that difficult. My vent was falling apart though, so I removed it and replaced it with a new one. I applied the above mentioned white goop, my buddy siliconed around the inside and it looks awesome. Had a bit of water damage on the wooden frame that goes around underneath the vent, so I pulled some of that out and replaced as well. Still need to do my bathroom vent.

Hobo Camper Country is another good spot to pick up goodies. Seems to be a bit cheaper than some of the larger places..

Hi,

I bought a 75 24ft motorhome hose roof was leaking. It s a wooden roof though.

Solutions from others above is the best one but I did it for cheaper. I bought a buket of sealant designed for RV roof plus a "tape" (at Rona, near the bucket of sealant). You put the "tape" with the sealant, then you apply a coat of sealant;

I ve redone all the edges plus vents and since then, it s perfectly water proof (not a pro quality but still efficient). I v done my entire roof for 120$. For vents, should be around 40 bucks (30$/sealant + 10$/tape).

Up to you.