Fly Fusion Forums

Good Pike On The Fly Reel

Hey all. I'm wondering about suggestions for a good reel for pike on the fly for an 8wt. Let me know what you use or suggest. I tried a search and came up with very little. All replies appreciated!

whatever u can afford dude! they get big but don't take more than one or two runs and they are typically short! they do have some major weight behing em tho! disc drag would be great for longevity that is forsure! my loop multi stood up fantastic last year with dozens of pike each week after work for the two months while I was fishin up there

Like maxwell said, they don't run far or often, but when they do they're just about unstoppable. I recommend a large arbor for the lower start-up inertia. On the low end of the budget, I've got a Redington Surge and it's treating me well.

Guest JayVee

X2 for the Loop Multi. I use the 6/9 on the Pike Booster rod (also from Loop) and love this combo.

whatever u can afford dude! they get big but don't take more than one or two runs and they are typically short! they do have some major weight behing em tho! disc drag would be great for longevity that is forsure! my loop multi stood up fantastic last year with dozens of pike each week after work for the two months while I was fishin up there

I just pruchased a Snowbee XSD 780 cartridge reel at Southbow.. Haven't tried it out yet but they had a demo for me to try (7 wt line) which I tested on my 8 wt rod and it seemed to balance it nicely. The other thing that intrigued me with the XSD 780 is that it comes with 5 cartridges, is disc drag & large arbor at a decent price of $200!!

I can let you try if you like (but not before i do ;))

P

Hey all. I'm wondering about suggestions for a good reel for pike on the fly for an 8wt. Let me know what you use or suggest. I tried a search and came up with very little. All replies appreciated!

Guest Jeremie

I've found pike are more of a "striking" fish. The adrenalin rush for me is when they first slam the fly. I use a scientific anglers 2 (i think is what its called) on a 7 wt fenwick 8'6 7wt rod. Worked well on 5-15 pound pike lately.

i bought the Amundson Trend 9/10 wt for my 8wt specifically for pike. it is really light and also saltwater friendly, which is why i bought it. so i can use it on pike and if i end up doing a saltwater trip next year, im good to go

I'm rockin' the TXS reel on both my 5wt and 6wt rods. Awesome reel for the money. Fish Tales carries them, so you can support TWO site sponsors in one shot!

i bought the Amundson Trend 9/10 wt for my 8wt specifically for pike. it is really light and also saltwater friendly, which is why i bought it. so i can use it on pike and if i end up doing a saltwater trip next year, im good to go

That's a good idea to get something for saltwater as well. Thanks ladystrange. I'll check that reel out. Where did you pick yours up at?