Fly Fusion Forums

Finally Got My Spey Rod!

ericlin0122

Hi all.

I always wanna get into spey fishing. After talked to Kelvin in fish tale store, I got my first spey rod, echo 6w 12'6".

I have been practicing snake roll + cast for the past few days. It's not easy, but fun!

Couple questions in my mind...

1. I tried streamers, but don't really know how exactly it should work. I cast out across the river, and let it dead-drift downstream parallel-ish along the bank, then retrieve. Is this the way to cast streamer on spey rod? I watched couple videos, sometimes people cast 45 degrees downstream, and retrieve immediately.

what's the proper way of casting streamer?

2. What's good stream fly? (I know it's a big question) I tried clouser minnow, bunny bug, woolly bugger, but all catch nothing.

3. Is Nymphing on spey rod a NO-NO?

I searched, spey nymphing. I tried use same setup as on my single hander rod: 9 feet leader + indi + split shot + nymphs. My spey rod setup is: skagit head (24') + floating leader (15') + the rest. When I nymphing with this setup, the line is just so slack. Should I cut down the floating leader? I saw people mention Polyleader. What exactly is it?

Thanks, Eric

1 - That's one way, but most of the techniques you can learn by reading books like The Complete Steelheader or Jon Hazell's DVD (http://www.deschutesangler.com/retail/common/shop/prod_detail.asp?store_id=201&dept_id=760&pf_id=OBOOK_DACF_106297) which can be found locally. Basically you're casting out, letting the fly sink, and then swinging it over the fish lies. Then move a couple feet downstream and try again.

Different sink rates of flies and sinking leaders will determine how long you wait until putting the line into tension. If you're not hitting bottom occasionally you'd probably want a faster sink rate of your tip (such as a poly leader).

2 - Those should work - a Bow River Bugger in white or olive is another good choice.

3 - It's not, but it can be difficult to control a dead drift with a short skagit line. You can try swinging nymphs like a bitch creek or stonefly like a streamer with that setup, but a longer head like a scandi or mid belly would be better. Another problem with dead drifting is that when you do get a strike, you need to set the hook aggressively in order to break the surface tension of the head on the water.

Poly leaders are coated mono leaders that can help in turnover of flies - they come in different sink rates and for the Bow, I usually use something in 4-5 ips for what I typically fish.

My spey rod setup is: skagit head (24') + floating leader (15') + the rest.

Do you mean a 15' floating tip? A skagit head is ideal for casting sink tips and streamers with the setup being skagit head -> sink tip -> 3-4' mono -> fly. On the bow a 15' type 3 sink tip is a good place to start and 3-4' of 10lb Maxima. Cast down and across, let your fly swing in the current (make sure there's no slack in your line so you can feel any strikes) until your line is parallel with the bank. Let the fly dangle a second, then strip it back in and recast. In faster or deeper water you can cast a little further upstream to let your fly sink deeper. Experiment to figure it out. You can also try stripping your fly during the swing. One way I cover water on the Bow is to make a cast, let it swing to the dangle, strip in, recast. On this cast I start stripping in during the swing. Take two steps and start over.

I'd highly recommend taking spey casting lessons from a qualified instructor. By learning off a video or book you risk developing a lot of bad casting habits that will be difficult to break later on. An instructor knows both how to spot those faults and correct them immediately before they become ingrained.

3. Is Nymphing on spey rod a NO-NO?

I searched, spey nymphing. I tried use same setup as on my single hander rod: 9 feet leader + indi + split shot + nymphs. My spey rod setup is: skagit head (24') + floating leader (15') + the rest. When I nymphing with this setup, the line is just so slack. Should I cut down the floating leader? I saw people mention Polyleader. What exactly is it?

Thanks, Eric

Nymphing on a spey rod isn't a no-no . . . in fact, it is just about all I've done so far :) I find that the corrections (when I remember them . . . which is about 80% of the time :huh:) are easier than on a single-handed rod. The extra length certainly helps.

From my (very limited) POV, your leader may be a bit too long . . . but you'll mess with the taper if you cut it (I'm assuming you're using a tapered leader). However, if you're getting your nymphs where you want them you can just strip in the slack.

I have the same rod & sounds like pretty much the same setup, with a 450 gr. Rio Skagit Flight Line & sink tip. For streamers I bought an 18' T15 sink tip from Fish Tales & cut that up into a 10', 5' & 3' sections. I mostly use the 10' witch is tough thing to cast a first but once you get on to it you can really get some line out, & it sinks to the bottom where the fish are. I also only use about 42" of leader of 12lb & 8lb Maxima. I use all the usual streamers, but not heavily weighted, maybe a conehead. I try to cast straight across from where I stand & then let it swing, & with the T-15 Sink Tip I find it get s down fast & put the streamers in the fish's depth. Then strip it back up where at the point where I sterted the cast as far as how much running line is hanging out of the rod. Now I just started the foray into spey casting as you have, but I have gotten professional lessons, read a lot, talked to fellows on this board & other boards, & bought DVD's. Some days the casts can shoot out into the river, next cast not so much, but what I find the best is the practice, & practice.

Do you mean a 15' floating tip?

Ya, that's what I mean.

A skagit head is ideal for casting sink tips and streamers with the setup being skagit head -> sink tip -> 3-4' mono -> fly. On the bow a 15' type 3 sink tip is a good place to start and 3-4' of 10lb Maxima.

Thanks for the suggestion. I got 15' type 3 sink tip, but I didn't have the 3-4' mono. I would have to get that.

I try to cast straight across from where I stand & then let it swing, & with the T-15 Sink Tip I find it get s down fast & put the streamers in the fish's depth. Then strip it back up where at the point where I sterted the cast as far as how much running line is hanging out of the rod.

very helpful, thanks! I will give T-15 a try. the line selection is more complicate than I can think. lol

From my (very limited) POV, your leader may be a bit too long . . . but you'll mess with the taper if you cut it (I'm assuming you're using a tapered leader). However, if you're getting your nymphs where you want them you can just strip in the slack.

Ya, that's what I thought too. You mean cut down the floating tip right?

Another technique to consider for trout streaming, is to cast out 70-50 degrees ( this can vary depending on what cast you are using. eg. a double spey throws your line a little more up stream and a snap t a little more downstream ). When the line is at 45 degrees, begin stripping it in. I find this extra action on the flies works well on trout. Take some steps downstream and repeat. This works very well for me on the bow. Swinging fles is great for steel, not as productive for trout. Good luck, and welcome to the spey cult.

Another technique to consider for trout streaming, is to cast out 70-50 degrees ( this can vary depending on what cast you are using. eg. a double spey throws your line a little more up stream and a snap t a little more downstream ). When the line is at 45 degrees, begin stripping it in. I find this extra action on the flies works well on trout. Take some steps downstream and repeat. This works very well for me on the bow. Swinging fles is great for steel, not as productive for trout. Good luck, and welcome to the spey cult.

You don't find swinging productive for trout? I find it can be selective for large trout. I think swinging vs stripping is water dependant. If I am in very slloowww flows then I may add a strip, when the water is at a moderate pace, around a fast walking speed, a swing is deadly. Also, the swing can work well in runs with abundant structure, perhaps in the form of boulders, streamy currents, etc where there may be multiple big fish holding behind structure and watching then ambushing prey.

Besides all that, there is certain peace to the step and swing rhythm that can be especially satisfying when it is broken by an explosion on the end of your line.

You don't find swinging productive for trout? I find it can be selective for large trout. I think swinging vs stripping is water dependant. If I am in very slloowww flows then I may add a strip, when the water is at a moderate pace, around a fast walking speed, a swing is deadly. Also, the swing can work well in runs with abundant structure, perhaps in the form of boulders, streamy currents, etc where there may be multiple big fish holding behind structure and watching then ambushing prey.

Besides all that, there is certain peace to the step and swing rhythm that can be especially satisfying when it is broken by an explosion on the end of your line.

Just my experiences, not gospel by any strech.