Fly Fusion Forums

Looking To Purchase A Wading Jacket

I am looking to purchase a wading jacket and living in Lethbridge my only options are wholesale sports or ordering online so once again I am asking for your input. I am looking for something that I can layer under when it is cold out but light enough to wear on a cooler raining summer day. There are two that I am already considering

http://www.fishwest.net/Merchant2/merchant...cloudveil_brand

http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/freestone_jacket_09.html#

and I would be interested in any comments you have on either of these or if you have a better suggestion I should consider.

Thanks Wayne

I have last year's version of the Cloudveil jacket and love it. The angled cuffs are nice because it doesn't interfere with casting. The neoprene cuffs cinch up and allow you to stick your arm under water without getting wet. I can easily fit wallet/keys/camera/phone and fly boxes in the four waterproof zippered pockets. The d-ring is perfect for hanging your net, and there is an extra zipper in the back that allows you to stash another layer if you're traveling light. Also, the hood has a small brim that acts like a hat when raining and sheds water nicely off your head.

if your looking for a top quality jacket it is truly tough tobeat the Patagonia Guidewater.

If the choice is between the two listed I would choose the simms product. I sell Simms and OPatagonia at my shop and they are both great products. Slightly different fit between the two brands, I tend to favour Patagonia for both performance and the fact that they are willing to back their products with such a strong warranty.

Brian Niska

1-888-822-3474

I love my Cloudveil guide 8 jacket. It has a comfortable fit, tons of pockets and it's not to hot during the rainy summer days!

However South Bow got the new guideline jacket's in and I gotta say there pretty sweet!

If you can afford it, go for one of the Simms Gore-Tex jackets. I bought a G3 Guide jacket a few years ago when it was their top end and it's absolutely bomb-proof. I spent 4 hours out in the pouring rain today and stayed completely dry. You'll notice the waterproof breathable stuff like Gore-Tex makes a huge difference in the summer on those warm, rainy, muggy sort of days.

I gotta agree with Headscan. Go with gortex. I have a freestone jacket and find that it doesnt breath very well. The one advantage to this jacket is that it folds up to almost nothing and is easy to pack. It will keep you dry for a short rain, but for a long shift it will leave you feeling cold and damp.

I would go with the STS or Guide from Patagonia. I have had 3 and wore then all out and they replaced them all, it wasn't because of lack of quality but they were abused prety much 365 day a year. Pretty good of them to replace it twice and I am still wearing the last one. I like the fit of the hood and huge chest pockets.

SST 6 days a week and twice on Sunday.... Fished this jacket in everything the west coast can throw at you Spring and Fall...Had a German guy fishing below me with a Simms G3 in a Monsoon on the Kitty a few years ago run for cover after his started retaining water as I swung all day long..through his water after his jacket blew up on him

Dude,

Go with Patagonia. I prefer the Guidewater, but the deep wading jacket or the SST would be a fine choice as well. Awesome jacket and best warranty in the business. I have shipped back jackets after 6 years that started to leak and they refunded me the full original purchase price. The same with waders.

Thanks for all the reply's After some more reading and your advice I have narrowed my search from two to four here they are.

1) Patagonia deep wading jacket

2) patagonia SST who sells this jacket?

3) Simms Rivershed

4) cloudveil riffle

Any comments on these choices would be great

Thanks Wayne